Case 1290 Engine Rebuild

/ Case 1290 Engine Rebuild #1  

HF345

Tractor
Case 1290
I have just done an inframe on my 1290 Case (DB Engine). Before I pulled the head the engine ran but did miss on two cylinders. I had the pump gone through as well as the injectors. I have now been trying to get it to start for three days. I cannot even get it to fire on starting fluid. Any ideas? Thanks.

/ Case 1290 Engine Rebuild #2  
I'm guessing your camshaft is not timed correctly to the crankshaft.

Kim

/ Case 1290 Engine Rebuild #3  
A couple of things to check...
The fuel system on the 1290's were sometimes difficult to bleed.
Are you getting fuel to the injectors?
I've always found that a diesel engine that won't start on ether usually isn't getting ANY fuel at all, providing timing and the rest of the mechanicals are correct.

Remove the injector lines from the injectors and spin the engine over until you see fuel coming from all 4 lines. Reinstall the lines, but leave the nuts loose and spin the engine again until there are no air bubbles coming from around the nut, then tighten the nuts.

Also make certain that the fuel supply pump on the side of the block is pumping fuel to the injection pump.

Hope this helps,
Mark

/ Case 1290 Engine Rebuild
I am getting plenty of fuel. When I try to start and open throttle wide open I get white smoke out of the exhaust. I am leaninig towards timing since I am getting fuel and plenty of air. Just never pulled a timing cover off and timed a diesel motor so not sure what I am about to get into. Thanks for the input.

/ Case 1290 Engine Rebuild #5  
Injection pump timing could definitely be an issue.
I don't remember the exact procedure for setting the IP timing on the DB's, we never had to work on many of those engines.

I'll try and look through my old notes tonight and see if I have anything on the exact procedure for setting IP timing.

Mark

/ Case 1290 Engine Rebuild #7  
. Just never pulled a timing cover off and timed a diesel motor so not sure what I am about to get into. .

So I gather from this you never pulled the camshaft so you can disregard my suggestion of that timing. Now I would also say an injection pump timing problem is likely. Is your valve train operating correctly and are the valves adjusted correctly?

Kim

/ Case 1290 Engine Rebuild
I did not pull the front timing cover so I will check the pump timing and go from there. Thanks.

/ Case 1290 Engine Rebuild #9  
Did you get 'er going yet??????

Mark