Need Help With Power Steering on 73-74 IH 1066

/ Need Help With Power Steering on 73-74 IH 1066 #1  

trentparker09

Tractor
Internation 1466
Hello my name is trent and I Have a power steering leak inside my column on my 1973 or 74 International 1066. I can see the two lines going up into the column and I know one is leaking. i just recently replaced one of the lower lines by the radiator on my 856 and it was not a fun job to pull the new line into where it needed to be. I was just wondering if anyone has pulled apart the steering column on one of these machines and could maybe tell me how to go about doing something like this? thank you

/ Need Help With Power Steering on 73-74 IH 1066 #2  
is it just a hose or is it the steering pump itself. We had a steel hose rub into. We replaced with a rubber hose. It wasn't too bad. Our steering pump is leaking. Replaced orings, but it didn't last long. Tedious job.

/ Need Help With Power Steering on 73-74 IH 1066 #3  
Your 1066 has 4 lines on the steering valve, you can remove the sheet metal cover in front of the steering wheel to kinda see the lines. Finding he leak is the first step in repairing the leak. :thumbsup:
Remove the steering wheel, upper instrument panel (just the mounting bolts and 'swing' it out of the way), disconnect the throttle lever, and hydraulic lines ..then remove the steering valve from the top of the column.
You or your dealer should 'reseal' the steering valve, there is a boot, top seal kit, and Orings to replace ..there are some small parts inside the steering valve and timing procedures that must be followed.

May be best to remove the steering valve and take it to your dealer. Re sealing is not complicated, if you know what your doing, and should take less than one hour.