Tractor
    IH 424

Default 424 Parking brake

I just received the parking brake assembly which was missing when I bought this 424 Diesel. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to attach the spring to the lever. All pictures I've seen show the level straight up and down and the broken lower part of the lever had the teeth facing forward. And I believe the teeth should be facing forward due to the placement of the part the teeth catch on which is attached to the inside brake pedal arm. I further assume that the spring is supposed to keep the lower part of the parking brake lever to the rear (away from the catching mechanism) to keep the parking brake from engaging every time the brake pedal is pushed in. (Hope you guys aren't as confused as I sound.) My problem is the only way I can figure to attach the spring has it pulling the lower part of the brake lever forward to the engaged position. Anybody out there have a 424 with a working parking brake and a digital camera who could post a photo of this assembly? The owners manual doesn't help either.

Many thanks,

Randy

Platinum Member

Default Re: 424 Parking brake

Quote Originally Posted by 424newbie View Post
    I just received the parking brake assembly which was missing when I bought this 424 Diesel. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to attach the spring to the lever. All pictures I've seen show the level straight up and down and the broken lower part of the lever had the teeth facing forward. And I believe the teeth should be facing forward due to the placement of the part the teeth catch on which is attached to the inside brake pedal arm. I further assume that the spring is supposed to keep the lower part of the parking brake lever to the rear (away from the catching mechanism) to keep the parking brake from engaging every time the brake pedal is pushed in. (Hope you guys aren't as confused as I sound.) My problem is the only way I can figure to attach the spring has it pulling the lower part of the brake lever forward to the engaged position. Anybody out there have a 424 with a working parking brake and a digital camera who could post a photo of this assembly? The owners manual doesn't help either.

Many thanks,

Randy
    https://webparts.pvassociates.net/cnh/webparts/main.php

Here is a pic from the above link and part # list.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -001csih-31094-gif  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IHC 424 Diesel
    Ford 917 Flail Mower

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dieselscout80 View Post
    https://webparts.pvassociates.net/cnh/webparts/main.php

Here is a pic from the above link and part # list.

Noticed that link didn't work.
    http://www.caseih.com/northamerica/P...es/search.aspx

Go to where it says
    "Begin your search for the parts you need right here."
    IHC 424 Diesel
    Ford 917 Flail Mower

Tractor
    IH 424

I've looked at the exploded view a few times and just noticed there is a part shown that I do not have. The PLATE, brake lock lever stop number 34 in the list. Not sure what it does exactly or where it fits in with the other parts. Guess I need to go to a tractor show or find one for sale locally to take some pictures and measurements. Looks like something I can fabricate.

Randy

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Massey 180 Diesel

Maybe check with "Jeff424", in the above for now thread, and see if his still has it on his. Maybe get some measurements..??

If you've done any brakework on yours, maybe help him out with some pointers... I'm going by a similar 240 model I have, and it's 25 miles away at the moment..., but basically the same.

Tractor
    International 424

Unfortunately my parking brake is missing completely. I wish I could be of some help.

Tractor
    Case-IH 5240

The top part of the lever hooks behind this plate to keep the lever in the storage position. The spring holds the lever in the engaged position. I hope this makes sense.
    If it's stuck ...force it, if it breaks ...you needed a new one anyway