Help with Farmall 1206

/ Help with Farmall 1206 #1  

sweet farms

Tractor
FARMALL 1206, FORD 4000
My Farmall 1206 will start fine then, the rpm's will start falling off after about 30 seconds and will finally die. I have changed the fuel filter and removed and cleaned the check valve and screen at the injection pump inlet. Getting plenty of fuel to the pump. This pump is a "Roosa-Master" fuel injection pump. Before I remove the pump to get it repaired, is there something else I should try? Any help would be appreciated. I Really need the old girl to roll hay in about two weeks.

Thanks,
Kevin

/ Help with Farmall 1206 #2  
I am having a similar problem with my IH 284. I have replaced the filter (twice), rubber fuel line, rubber return line and the seal in the sediment bowl. I bleed it out per the owners manuals directions and it will run like a top for about thirty seconds then start sputtering again and die. I hope you find out whats wrong so that maybe we will both get them running.

/ Help with Farmall 1206 #3  
I have posted your question on yesterdaystractors.com. I bet someone has been through this before. Did you let plenty of fuel (gallon or so) run out the tank outlet to purge all water/contaminants out of the bottom of the tank? Dad

/ Help with Farmall 1206 #4  
Marlin1 Posted this on YT. Dad

"I have seen the hose from the filters to pump crack inside and slow or stop fuel flow.It creates little flats inside. I would replace that hose and only with oem."

/ Help with Farmall 1206 #5  
I've seen people be fooled by what is a ample stream coming out of the fuel line. It should not be anywhere near a dripple!!!!!

/ Help with Farmall 1206 #7  
sounds like it may be sucking air into the fuel system you could try bypassing the handprimer (if fitted) and run a new fuel line to check there is no cracks in the fuel line and that the handprimer is sealed.Also check that there is no foreign ojects in the fuel tank blocking of the outlet

/ Help with Farmall 1206 #8  
I had the same problem on a JD 301A with a Rosa-master. What was happening was that some of the rubber parts inside the pump had deteriorated and would block fuel flow inside the pump. When the motor stopped, the rubber would fall out of the way and the tractor would restart immediately and run for a little bit until the rubber blocked flow again. In my instance it was an quick and complete fuel shut off. I cracked an injector open and saw that the fuel flow stopped completely. Your 1206 is older than my 301A by about 10 years. If the pump has never been done, I am sure you need it period. Pull the injectors and have them checked at the same time. The pump on the 301a and my farmall 706 both cost the same at Diesell Pro in Glen Rock PA. It was right around 500. Sorry to say this is where you are headed.

/ Help with Farmall 1206 #9  
Hello Kevin, your 1206 is likely suffering from a restriction in the fuel return line. The symptoms you describe are common for this pump.

The fuel return line connects to the top cover of the pump, the fitting that is in the top cover has either a wire and orifice, or a glass ball and spring. The governor retainer has likely deteriorated and plugged this fitting.

An easy way to check this is to remove the fitting from the top cover and start the engine (there will be some fuel spill) use a suitable container to catch the fuel. You can clean the small rubber particles from the fitting and reinstall.

Your tractor may have a top or bottom return to tank, if it has bottom return, there is a small check valve in the fitting that enters the fuel tank, you may remove the ball and spring from the fitting, this will not harm the system in any way.

At some point your pump will need a rebuild kit, this kit is available at your dealer ...but I recommend this only to an experienced mechanic. Your other option is to install a rebuilt pump.

/ Help with Farmall 1206
Got the 1206 running yesterday. Barry was correct in the diagnose. Pieces in the injection pump were floating around inside the pump and restricting the flow. I had the pump rebuilt and calibrated. I put the pump back on and checked static timing via service manual, bled fuel sysem, and she fired right up. Ran for several hours - seems fine. I did not have the injectors checked because of lack of time. That will be my next project. I was quoted $70 per injector for complete service. Is this the going rate? Sure nice to hear her running again. Nothing like the sound of those old 6 cylinder diesel engines.

Thanks for your help,
Kevin