clutch doesn't disengage

/ clutch doesn't disengage #1  

gauleyrider

Tractor
ford 2n & case 530ck
Hey yall,

Just found the forum; I'm also a member of ford truck enthusiasts which is like this, so I'm sure some good stuff will be found. Also hope I can help somebody else out once I figure out what I'm doing!:ashamed:

Anyway, I just bought an old 530ck diesel with a clutch problem. The guy I bought it from thought it was the shuttle, but now that I started messing with it I found that the clutch doesn't disengage. When the pedal is pressed, the only resistance felt is from the return spring.

I took off the hydraulic box, where the clutch and torque converter/direct drive linkages engage. The ball bearings weren't jammed, but didn't come out freely. A can of brake cleaner and some lucas got things moving ok.

There is a 1 1/8" threaded cap between the two hydraulic pistons. Inside are some springs and pistons that make what I can only guess as a pressure regulator. The first spring to come out was broken in pieces. The rest came out ok. I replaced that spring with a leftover one from a transgo kit i rebuilt my truck trans with. It was the same diameter and stiffness, but I was only guessing at the length.

Put everything back together and now there's no clutch and no drive :mur: Used to be you could start it in gear to move, but now nothing. I'm looking for a service manual now and the right spring, but any help would really be appreciated!