Moronic newbie question

/ Moronic newbie question
I have been going on the same logic as Day and dcyrilc and searching all around the PTO housing, as well as based on this entry in my manual.
IMG-20110521-00148Mediumul.jpg

As you can see there is a misprint because the sentence is cut off, but I was assuming that it was still located around the PTO housing because of that little bit there. Especially since it included a picture of the fill spot.

I found another entry in the manual that does a better job of describing where it is, but it doesn't mention anything about the PTO housing. Instead it says that it is located on the right hand ramshaft cover, then includes the same picture. Problem with the picture is that it doesn't give you any reference to where it is located on the rest of the tractor. I have read the whole manual and there is no other reference to the "ramshaft" so I don't know where that is or what it would do. Can anyone else tell me what the ramshaft is or where it would be located?
IMG-20110521-00146Mediumul.jpg

I have to be honest, for something that should be a regular maintenence thing that is done on a regular basis, this thing is just stupidly difficult to locate. Thanks for the help you guys have given me so far.

/ Moronic newbie question #12  
I have been going on the same logic as Day and dcyrilc and searching all around the PTO housing, as well as based on this entry in my manual.
IMG-20110521-00148Mediumul.jpg

As you can see there is a misprint because the sentence is cut off, but I was assuming that it was still located around the PTO housing because of that little bit there. Especially since it included a picture of the fill spot.

I found another entry in the manual that does a better job of describing where it is, but it doesn't mention anything about the PTO housing. Instead it says that it is located on the right hand ramshaft cover, then includes the same picture. Problem with the picture is that it doesn't give you any reference to where it is located on the rest of the tractor. I have read the whole manual and there is no other reference to the "ramshaft" so I don't know where that is or what it would do. Can anyone else tell me what the ramshaft is or where it would be located?
IMG-20110521-00146Mediumul.jpg

I have to be honest, for something that should be a regular maintenence thing that is done on a regular basis, this thing is just stupidly difficult to locate. Thanks for the help you guys have given me so far.

OK, I'm going to step out on a limb here and try to read between the lines. Wish me luck.:laughing:

The tansmission cover on many tractors houses the ram for the 3PH. I'm going to guess that they are calling the transmission cover a ramshaft cover. Looking at figures 133 & 37, it looks like there may be some form of filter to the right of the fill tube. Can you get us any pix of the right side of the transmission near the engine compartment? I'm thinking maybe just in front of the operators station?

BTW, I'm guessing that once we find this darn thing that we are going to laugh at ourselves asking how we ever missed it.;)

OK, I'm going to step out on a limb here and try to read between the lines. Wish me luck.:laughing:

The tansmission cover on many tractors houses the ram for the 3PH. I'm going to guess that they are calling the transmission cover a ramshaft cover. Looking at figures 133 & 37, it looks like there may be some form of filter to the right of the fill tube. Can you get us any pix of the right side of the transmission near the engine compartment? I'm thinking maybe just in front of the operators station?

BTW, I'm guessing that once we find this darn thing that we are going to laugh at ourselves asking how we ever missed it.;)
Well I am hoping that laughing part comes soon, because I am close to jumping off a bridge at this point. :confused2:

That is a interesting idea for the ramshaft. I was just guessing based on the name that it might be the hydraulic ram that drives the power steering, so I did spend some time looking in the same general area that you are describing, basically right in front of the operator on the right hand side. It is kind of hard to see there because it is behind the connector area for the loader, and also below the hyraulic control for the loader, so there is already a lot going on there. It is only 10:30ish here though, so I think I will take a walk out to the shed again and see if I can get a picture or two. Not sure I will get a chance to post them tonight though and I am on the road tomorrow, so Tuesday at the latest I hope.

The tranny fluid is currently at the bottom of the "safe" area, so I have been putting in a little bit at a time through the dipstick hole, but I sure don't want to continue doing that over the long term. :mur:

/ Moronic newbie question #14  
The tranny fluid is currently at the bottom of the "safe" area, so I have been putting in a little bit at a time through the dipstick hole, but I sure don't want to continue doing that over the long term. :mur:

Especially when it comes time to do a fluid change. I'm not sure how much your tractor holds, but mine takes 14 gallons.:confused2:

Ok, now I've gone and taken a picture of every square inch of where it should be. One of these pictures should be gold. One can only hope anyway...

I started off with a pic of the operato's side to give perspective. This is where I start my search.
IMG-20110522-00172Medium.jpg

Zooming in...
IMG-20110522-00173Medium.jpg

A picture of what my right ankle can see. Dominated by diesel tank on top, loader arm on right, and brake pedal on bottom. No Tranny fill tube that I can see.
IMG-20110522-00175Medium.jpg

Same area, but from the side standing beside the tractor.
IMG-20110522-00176Medium.jpg

Now from above looking down. Diesel tank at top left and loader arm at bottom. Nothing to see here, really.
IMG-20110522-00177Medium.jpg

Same picture, from higher up.
IMG-20110522-00179Medium.jpg

Side of the engine compartment looking back to the same area. Loader hydraulic ram at top left, fuel filter in middle, no tranny fluid tube though.
IMG-20110522-00178Medium.jpg

Under the operator's seat on the operator's right.
IMG-20110522-00182Medium.jpg

Starting to get desperate now, here is the front half of the engine, with oil fill tube at top.
IMG-20110522-00180Medium.jpg

And here's the back half.
IMG-20110522-00181Medium.jpg

Moving to the back. Right hand side of the 3 pt linkage.
IMG-20110522-00183Medium.jpg

Left hand side.
IMG-20110522-00184Medium.jpg

PTO and PTO housing.
IMG-20110522-00185Medium.jpg

Moving to the left, under the seat on the left hand side.
IMG-20110522-00186Medium.jpg

What my left ankle can see. Transmission dipstick is on the bottom right.
IMG-20110522-00187Medium.jpg

Engine compartment on left of tractor from the side. Oil dipstick is visible next to the block heater plug, but nothing else that could be a transmission fill tube.
IMG-20110522-00188Medium.jpg

Left front of engine compartment, oil fill is visible again.
IMG-20110522-00189Medium.jpg

Left rear of engine compartment. Still nothing to see.
IMG-20110522-00190Medium.jpg

This is Sally. She was helping me look, but she wasn't much help. SHe thought it was over there...
IMG-20110522-00191Medium.jpg

This is what pictures of Sally usually look like.
IMG-20110522-00192Medium.jpg

Is it just me???? Honestly this really is rediculous. I have looked everywhere for something that should be as easy to find as my mouth at supper time. :confused2::confused2::confused2::mad:

Interestingly enough, even the dipstick is not in the same place as the picture. Pretty close, but not exact. Picture from the manual has it closer to the engine on the left hand side, and it is really located a bit farther back. I circled in blue where it actually is in both pictures, but in the manual thinks it is where the white arrow is pointing.
Tranny_dipstick.jpg

That is just a small difference, but I wonder how much else is different from the manual?

/ Moronic newbie question #17  
What is the item on the left rear which I circled in this picture?

Attachments

• IMG-20110522-00185Medium.jpg
    IMG-20110522-00185Medium.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 150
What is the item on the left rear which I circled in this picture?

I looked at that a while back, and decided that it probably wouldn't be the fill tube, since it didn't look like the picture, and because it was kind of hard to access, and because it had a funky cover that was not easy to open (it wouldn't budge with a pair of pliers), and because it did not look like it had been accessed for a while. I just assumed that I would find it somewhere else in a more obvious location/appearance. Then I forgot about it.

In light of the fact that I can't find it anywhere else though, I guess I should re-visit it. Thanks for pointing it out to me. Like I said, I had forgotten that it was there. I saw your message and ran down to take a couple of quick snaps, but had to leave right away and won't get a chance to try it until this weekend. Here are the shots though.

IMG-20110523-00202Medium.jpg

IMG-20110523-00204Medium.jpg

Looking at it now, with new eyes so to speak, it might be that the plug with the square key required may have been put there by someone else later in it's life, and then just painted orangy-red when the tractor was touched up. Or perhaps it is original, although it doesn't really qualify as easy access for something that should be regular maintenance. I am thinking that a 3/8 or 1/2 inch socket extension may fit right in there and do the job of unscrewing that plug. I will give it a try this weekend, and stick a straw in it to see what colour comes out. Hopefully it will be red. :)

Thanks for the response, you may have solved the riddie!!! I am sure hoping anyway. :laughing:

/ Moronic newbie question #19  
I'm about as newbie as you, but last fall I bought a 1960's case 830. I married well, and my brother-in-law is a hd mechanic. So we went through, and I changed all the oils, but the tranny dipstick/fill was seized pretty bad, it didn't twist off as it wasn't threaded, but you just wiggled it and it pulled off. They were fairly obvious as fill caps, and I think one was in the left side of the tractor and the other was just under the seat on the transmission housing on the left side. I was poring over your pics trying to see caps like mine, but didn't see them. Good luck!

/ Moronic newbie question #20  
I looked at that a while back, and decided that it probably wouldn't be the fill tube, since it didn't look like the picture, and because it was kind of hard to access, and because it had a funky cover that was not easy to open (it wouldn't budge with a pair of pliers), and because it did not look like it had been accessed for a while. I just assumed that I would find it somewhere else in a more obvious location/appearance. Then I forgot about it.

In light of the fact that I can't find it anywhere else though, I guess I should re-visit it. Thanks for pointing it out to me. Like I said, I had forgotten that it was there. I saw your message and ran down to take a couple of quick snaps, but had to leave right away and won't get a chance to try it until this weekend. Here are the shots though.

IMG-20110523-00202Medium.jpg

IMG-20110523-00204Medium.jpg

Looking at it now, with new eyes so to speak, it might be that the plug with the square key required may have been put there by someone else later in it's life, and then just painted orangy-red when the tractor was touched up. Or perhaps it is original, although it doesn't really qualify as easy access for something that should be regular maintenance. I am thinking that a 3/8 or 1/2 inch socket extension may fit right in there and do the job of unscrewing that plug. I will give it a try this weekend, and stick a straw in it to see what colour comes out. Hopefully it will be red. :)

Thanks for the response, you may have solved the riddie!!! I am sure hoping anyway. :laughing:

I used to use my neighbors Case 580C backhoe. It had a plug like that which took a 3/4" socket extension to remove for filling the hydraulic fluid. After seeing these pix, I'm hopeful.:thumbsup: I would expect it to be either 1/2" or 3/4" for the socket extension. 3/8" seems a tad small. I'll be out of town over the weekend (3,000 mile round trip to Az helping move my mother), but will be anxiously looking forward to hearing what you find when I return.