Moronic newbie question

/ Moronic newbie question #1  

zing

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case IH 1390
Thread title says it all. :)

I bought a 1986 Case tractor 64 HP to help around my hobby farm.

Sept32010047Small.jpg

It comes with the manual, but the pictures in the manual are so bad that I cannot tell (for sure) how to top up the oil or the hydraulic fluid. I am 99% on the oil fill, but I do not want to chance screwing it up and filling the hydraulic fluid with regular oil. I have no idea where to finid the fill thing for the hydraulic fluid.

Here is what I think is the oil fill.
IMG-20110410-00139Small-2.jpg

Where the heck is the hydraulic fill though?
IMG-20110410-00139Small.jpg
IMG-20110410-00140Small.jpg

Thanks for any help. Feel free to poke fun at me too. I recognise that it is a stupid question. :confused2:

/ Moronic newbie question
Lots of views, but no replies so I thought I would add to the confusion by adding another picture.

I read in another thread that the Hydraulic fill may be on the floor. Here is a picture of the floor, looking down from the seat with the steering wheel at the top. I circled the hydraulic fluid dipstick, to show where that is. There is a bolt nearby (identified with thw arrow and question mark) that I am wondering if that could be the fill spot. It would need to be opened with a socket though, and it does not look like it has been moved recently.

IMG-20110410-00143Small.jpg

/ Moronic newbie question #3  
without a manual,which is your best option, I would ask the previous owner. if that is not practical,I would take a sample with a straw to confirm the type of fluid behing the fill plug you have IDed on the floor below the steering column.

of note, I have a Case VAC 1952. The fill plug for the gear oil is located approximate to your photo.

without a manual,which is your best option, I would ask the previous owner. if that is not practical,I would take a sample with a straw to confirm the type of fluid behing the fill plug you have IDed on the floor below the steering column.

of note, I have a Case VAC 1952. The fill plug for the gear oil is located approximate to your photo.
I do have the manual but the picture is so bad that it doesn't help, and the previous owner is also not an option since the reason he was selling was that he was moving to a smaller property and could't keep it. All I have is his disconnected phone number.

Your straw idea is a great one though. I might as well just pop that cork and see what colour the wine is. Thanks!

/ Moronic newbie question #5  
The only bit of info I can add is that "oil" (unless it has JUST been changed) will be dark to black on the dipstick, while hydraulic fluid should be absolutely clear- so clear it is hard to see on the dipstick. Also, there are different kinds of fluid- TSC carries three or four.

/ Moronic newbie question #6  
Most ag tractors the fill is near the top link for the rear 3 point hitch. There are exceptions of course but generally the rule.

Thanks for the tips Day.

Slowzuki, I haven't seen anything there that looks like a place to fill fluids, but I may have missed it. I don't have any good pictures handy, but maybe after next weekend I will take a more careful look around there and if I still can't find it I wil get a better picture. What I do have it a picture of the electrical jack and the hydraulic connectors. Would it likely be anywhere near those?

GirardFamily1533Small.jpg
GirardFamily1530Small.jpg

I looked around the upper 3PH link some more and couldn't find anything that looked like a fill spot. I found a reference in the manual that said it is under the PTO housing so I took a couple of pictures of what I thought that was. I left my socket set at home and wasn't able to get the housing off with the little spanner wrench that I had available, but I will be taking that off to have a look this weekend. Hopefully it is under there.

Once again, this doesn't look like it has been removed in the recent past either so I am not sure. Did no one ever fill the hydraulic fluid in this thing? It shouldn't be that hard to find since you would think that would be a regular maintenance type of thing to top that up.

IMG-20110424-00005Medium-1.jpg

IMG-20110424-00004Medium-1.jpg

/ Moronic newbie question #9  
Again, I can't speak to your machine, but filler plugs- a "regular maintenance thing"- can be checked without tools. Dipstick (oil) is a rod with a finger loop on the top, and hydraulic fluid is a plug that can be unscrewed with your fingers. On my big Yella Fella (the backhoe pictured) the hydraulic reservoir is accessed by lifting a panel up where the radiator is, and THEN pulling up a 3" cap, dipstick attached. So yours may be "hidden" underneath a panel, flap, etc. But it can be checked without tools.

/ Moronic newbie question #10  
Obvoiusly this isn't your tractor, but here is where they are located at the back of the tractor and what they look like on my Deere. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• JD_007(2).JPG
    JD_007(2).JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 335