330 T/A issues

/ 330 T/A issues #1  

the neighbor

Tractor
I-H 330 Utility, B414, Ford 8-N
Hiya, everyone. I own an I-H 330 Utility with T/A problems. The Rat-Trap looking linkage on the side of the bell housing was welded up, many years ago, by our old Flame-Wrench mechanic and is no longer adjustable. (I'd like to thank him for this, but he's dead.) The clutch is almost impossible to dis-engage, unless I pull HARD on the T/A handle. This makes shifting a real chore. Are those pieces available? I guess I could cut them off, and try to fab up new ones, but that would take a lotta hours. Can I dis-engage the T/A, and run the tractor without it? Am I gonna have to split this thing? Am I beating a dead horse? I grew up with this tractor, and would really like to see it running and useable. I had the engine gone through, and bought new tires, and now this. Any advice?

Last edited:
   / 330 T/A issues #2  
Howdy neighbor!

You can go to the Case-IH website, highlight the "Parts and Service" tab, then click on "Search for Parts"

That will take you to a page where you can enter your model # and select your machine from the list to view a complete parts catalog, complete with part numbers.

Hope this helps.

Mark

/ 330 T/A issues
Thanks for the referral. I was actually looking to see if there was any way to work around this issue... I'd like to make it work right, but if I can make it work WRONG, then I'd do that. I don't really like experimenting, and I DON"T want to screw it up worse. I simply don't have the resources to split the thing, and buy a bunch of parts... If I have a shop split it, it'll be (just guessing) $1000-or-more. Its not that the tractor isn't worth it, I just can't pick up that many cans alongside the road. Thanks, though. Any other opinions? Anyone "expert" on these things?

/ 330 T/A issues #4  
When they get to the point your tractor is they are screaming adjust me!!!! Or at least the main clutch is, you are using the TA at this point to release the drive pressure.

/ 330 T/A issues #5  
The clutch linkage needs to shift the TA into 'TA mode' just before the main clutch disengages and back to direct before the main clutch re-engages. However you can accomplish that will make shifting easier.

/ 330 T/A issues
OK. Thanks, guys! Let me see if I've got this right. The T/A is an "under-drive". When the lever is pulled back,its engaged. If I were to set it in the "disengaged" mode, and disconnect its linkage, could I proceed to adjust the main clutch, and use it like that? Or, at that point, could the T/A become useable? I don't think the clutch is bad... there's no throw=out noise, and no slippage.