Ran out of diesel, how to start now?

/ Ran out of diesel, how to start now? #1  

RoyalOak

I ran out of diesel on my International 274 Offset. This is pretty annoying but I am clueless how to get it to start now. I added fuel, and my local guys tell me to look for the bleeder valve, near the fuel filter or try the primer pump. Well, the primer pump seems to be broken and I can't see a bleeder valve anywhere.

I'm reluctant to start taking parts off since I am not a mechanic. Surely there must be an easy way to do this.

Any suggestions?

/ Ran out of diesel, how to start now? #2  
I have never let mine run out,but a friend had to loosen the nuts where the lines enter the heads until fuel started leaking. Re tighten and the tractor should start.:thumbsup:

/ Ran out of diesel, how to start now? #3  
I ran out of diesel on my International 274 Offset. This is pretty annoying but I am clueless how to get it to start now. I added fuel, and my local guys tell me to look for the bleeder valve, near the fuel filter or try the primer pump. Well, the primer pump seems to be broken and I can't see a bleeder valve anywhere.

I'm reluctant to start taking parts off since I am not a mechanic. Surely there must be an easy way to do this.

Any suggestions?

Here is how I do it on my 284. Loosen the bolt on the line coming out of the filter and pump with the hand pump until you get a good stream of fuel flowing out. While pumping tighten the line good. After that go to the injector pump where you will find two bleeder screws on the side facing you. Loosen these and pump with the hand pump until you get nothing but fuel out of both. Tighten these while pumping the hand pump. If your hand pump is broken you might be able to crank the engine to pump the fuel through (of course this will require a helper). Best of luck to you.

/ Ran out of diesel, how to start now?
thanks, guys - I will try that.

/ Ran out of diesel, how to start now? #5  
If you have another tractor available and yours is not a hydrostatic then often the easiest way is to tow it and roll the engine until it pumps itself through.