Blade Shaft Bearing Spacers??

/ Blade Shaft Bearing Spacers?? #1  

oMONSTERo

Tractor
Case 446 Hydriv
I have an old Case 446 Hydriv, with a 48 inch Deck. When I tighten the nut on the shaft, the bearings start to bind before it gets very tight at all. So, thought maybe there is supposed to be some "spacers" in there. If there is, could someone give me a Part #, or measurement (so I can find/make one). Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

/ Blade Shaft Bearing Spacers??
No?? Nothing?? No one has noticed this "problem"??

/ Blade Shaft Bearing Spacers?? #3  
I have an old Case 446 Hydriv, with a 48 inch Deck. When I tighten the nut on the shaft, the bearings start to bind before it gets very tight at all. So, thought maybe there is supposed to be some "spacers" in there. If there is, could someone give me a Part #, or measurement (so I can find/make one). Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I've never been inside a Case 446 quill shaft housing but I have a thought or two that may help if you don't get part numbers etc. from someone.

Do the bearings in all 3 blade housings do this binding? If not, disassemble one that doesn't bind and get the spacer dimensions from it.

If you have no spacer to measure from one can be made using the distance between outer race bearing seats in the housing plus about 5 thousandths or so in length. Not very critical as long as the two bearing inner races contact the spacer before the outer races contact both seats. The I.D. and O.D. diameter will be basically the same as the bearing inner race diameters except the I.D. will be a few thousandths larger than the shaft for easy slip fit.

On assembly, one bearing needs to be a light push fit or slip fit. This makes certain neither bearing has side thrust which will happen if there is no spacer or if there is a spacer and the bearings were not pressed in until the inner races just touch the spacer and a short bearing life follows.

Last edited: