dx45 wont crank or start

/ dx45 wont crank or start #1  

joe214

Tractor
caseihdx45
Have an early 2000s CaseIH dx45 HST that for no good reason will not crank to start. Machine was running well and this happened out of the blue. The seat switch is closed. Lights for glow plugs operation on the dash do not light up. There is no electrical signal to the starter solenoid. Constant 12V to starter. Fuses are all good. Have no service manual or electrical schematic for this machine and have no good understanding of the safety lockouts that override starter operation. Any help or explanations of these systems is greatly appreciated. Also where other than the dealer might a service manual for this machine be obtained?

Thanks.:confused:

/ dx45 wont crank or start #2  
Make sure hi/lo range select is in neutral and PTO is lever is in the off position.

/ dx45 wont crank or start #3  
Did you find the problem? I've got a D45 just did the exact same thing. I've replaced relays and still nothing.

/ dx45 wont crank or start
   / dx45 wont crank or start #5  
Just figured out my problem. Bad positive wire assembly from the battery to starter. Only about 6 to 9 volts was getting through the cable. Try a jumper cable from battery to starter. Mine was doing exactly what you described. Cable looked fine on both ends but was green inside when I cut it open.

Thanks but that is not my problem. I can jump out the solenoid at the plug by the glow plug timer and it will crank and eventually start without the glow plugs. Once warmed up it starts immediately this way. I have no signal to the solenoid from the key. I will look for corrosion all over as it seems the relays were corroded that way.

What is the purpose of the two numbers that light up on the dash and then disappear? I am assuming PTO speed. How is that supposed to be switched from one speed to the other?

Thanks for responding.

/ dx45 wont crank or start #7  
What is the purpose of the two numbers that light up on the dash and then disappear? I am assuming PTO speed. How is that supposed to be switched from one speed to the other?

The manual says there is a PTO overspeed light in the tach on the dash but my tractor does not have it. Maybe it was on earlier models but got thrifted by 2004. Mine just has a little picture marking the engine RPM for 540 PTO RPM.

There are a lot more New Holland owners on this forum and New Holland's TD45D is essentially the same tractor as our DX45. You can find a lot more information in the New Holland forum about this tractor than here.

Thanks I will check over there as well and thanks for the info.

Where should I look on the New Holland side - search is showing up nothing.