IH 574 brake issues

/ IH 574 brake issues #1  

smead

Tractor
IH 574
Have a 574 with brake, hydraulic issues. At best I can get a right brake with bleeding but never a left or both. Can get fluid out of right bleeder but never the left one, just air. The right brake does not last long either. Sometimes if I get on a downhill/sidehill I will loose PTO, steering, etc. Read in other posts about having to clamp off a transmission return line but have no clue as to where that is or how to do it. Could someone walk me through this process. Want to try bleeding the proper way before someone soaks me a pile of money to repair something. Thanks guys

/ IH 574 brake issues #2  
Are you sure your transmission is full of hydraulic oil? the way to check it is to run the tractor at about 1600 rpm for 3 minutes, shut it down and check the oil. It makes a lot of difference on the stick.

/ IH 574 brake issues
added a couple of gallons extra the other day before I tried bleeding again. I think I will start over and change fliud and filter. clean screens, etc and see where that fets me. This has been a long time aggravation - steve

/ IH 574 brake issues #4  
The brake return line that needs to be clamped is located ahead of the battery in the upper right-hand side of the engine compartment just forward of the "firewall".

You will see some steel hydraulic lines where one has a short section of rubber hose.

Anyway, this is where you need to pinch the rubber line closed before bleeding. I just use vise grips. This will force the hyd oil out through the bleeders instead of returning it to the tank, which would otherwise be the path of lesser resistance.

It may take a few times bleeding before all the air is purged out. If still problems, then maybe brake master cyl(s) needs rebuild. Your hydraulic system will hold 37 litres total. It can be difficult to get an accurate reading on the dipstick.

/ IH 574 brake issues #5  
added a couple of gallons extra the other day before I tried bleeding again. I think I will start over and change fliud and filter. clean screens, etc and see where that fets me. This has been a long time aggravation - steve

Were the brakes working good at some point?

/ IH 574 brake issues
yes, they were working fine. Yesterday I changed the fluid, filter, cleaned screen in filter housing. Spent a lot of time looking for the screens that were supposedly in the lines going to the master cylindets but did not find any. Looked like they were supposed to be in the rubber tubing sections but they were not there, replaced the rubber tubing sections, reclamped, bled brakes for quite a while after clamping off return hose. SO, after 6 hrs of work had good right brake but still no left brake BUT this time the air stopped coming out of the left bleeder where last time I bled there was seemingly no end to the air bubbles. Guessing I need to rebuild or replace the master cylinder on the left side. Do I need to sctually remove it from the tractor to rebuild or can I do it in place? - thanks

/ IH 574 brake issues #7  
hi it could be the o-rings on the brake piston if you undo the line off the masters and push the peddle down and you get oil then put the line back on and pump the peddle a few times and undo the line again you should get oil when the peddle is pushed down again which means the masters are working and if the is no oil leaking from the front of them there pretty good how did the rest of the hydraulic work after changing the oil and filter

/ IH 574 brake issues #8  
i have one of these,you have to take and clamp the return oil cooler return line which is on the right side of the battery tray.i had this same problem would last for a week or two till you clamp that line you are not going to get the air out.

/ IH 574 brake issues #9  
Send me a PM with your e mail address and i will forward some documents to help solve the brake issue!!!

/ IH 574 brake issues #10  
I hope by now the OP has his problem solved, until yesterday it had been almost two years since the last posting.