Tractor
    case ih 245

Default Case IH 245 transmission

I posted in General forum, then noticed brand specific. Anyway, my boy was brush hogging and the manual transmission got stuck in gear. It's a Case IH 245 2WD manual trans.

I thought it would be easy enough to just pull the bolts out of the top cover and pop the lid, but the lid won't budge. Is there a trick to getting the lid off?

Thanks for any advice.
    Steve

Tractor
    Mitsubishi MTE2000D, Dig It 258 Backhoe

Default Re: Case IH 245 transmission

I own a somewhat similar version to the 245. The case is probably just being stubborn after 20-25 years of being firmly attached. Make sure you have all the bolts out. That top case is heavy so don't worry about damaging it from rapping it pretty good with a "persuader"....don't be ridiculous about things. Let's use the words "heavy tapping". You don't want to damage the surface between the trans cover and case so don't try to wedge a thin chisel or screw driver, etc between them. You can use a punch or similar tool and put it on the side of the cover, angle it slightly upwards and tap it w/ a hammer. Maybe do it in a couple of different places if the first one doesn't get it lose. It will likely dig in/mark up that small area of the cover but that will probably be enough to break the natural adhesion that's occurred between the case and cover through the years. First time I had to take mine off, it was a booger too.
    Darryl

Tractor
    case ih 245

Default Re: Case IH 245 transmission

The top cover is aluminum, and I assume there is a dowel in the very front (in front of shifter). There also is a rubber plug on the right side of the cover right behind the pto lever. I took it out, but can't tell what it's there for. There also is evidence this has been off before, because there is some orange RTV that's oozed out from between cover and transmission.

Just to be clear, my tractor is a 23 horse Mitsubishi diesel. Is this the basic tractor you have? Thanks for the advice, I'll continue to tap/persuade until I get some progress.