IH 584

/ IH 584 #1  

gcp

Silver Member
Good morning all,

After 4 years of working around my property with my little Yanmar, btw a great little tractor with absolutely zero failures all this time, I bought this new to me IH 584 on July 1. I washed, degreased and took care of filter cleanings already and it obviously needs a good paint job but thus far it appears solid. I bush hogged with it last weekend in the Alabama 95deg weather, and learned how to use its front end loader, a must have around a farm if you ask me. Here's a few pics of it.

IH584gcp.jpg

2amigos.jpg

This weekend I'll repair a few minor issues on it like rear wheel stem valve replacement, and then on to mowing the lawn with a finishing mower I picked up yesterday. Any particular issues on the 584s that one should be careful of?

/ IH 584 #2  
The hi-lo-reverse shifter can get out of sync when old or if rough with it. The hydraulic pickup tube can fall off, if that happens you'll lose hydraulics on steep hills. The cure is to over fill the fluid until you get a chance to put the pipe back on. They're a great tractor!

/ IH 584 #3  
them's good tractors .sure would look better with a roll bar.

/ IH 584
Thank you for the input guys!

The stems have been replaced successfully, and the rear tires are now inflated at a solid 20psi.
newstems2-1.jpg

But I do have a couple of leaks I would appreciate input on. Please see pics below as they depict them better than I can, verbally. I just don't know how to tighten this one fitting.
Hydroleak2.jpg

Hydroleak.jpg

and here's anothe leak I can't locate due to the frame.
Hydroleakframe.jpg

/ IH 584 #5  
I have an IH 684 that was leaking on the transmission housing the same place yours is. Mine was leaking from the brake balance valve. It could also be your master cylinders or the hydraulic cooler lines run through there up to your cooler. My guess is the brakes though. It is an easy fix and the rebuild kits are reasonable. For your other leak on your loader valve you can find the manufacturer on the valve and try to get a rebuild kit or take it off and take it to a hydraulic shop and the should have everything to rebuild it. Great tractors, you will love it.

/ IH 584
slowzuki, thank you for your input but where is the hydraulic pickup tube located? How can a tube simply fall of?

cowski, that's the first thing I said also but the tractor mechanic said that this particular model is difficult to put roll bars on without a great deal of mods to the body.

huskerhayman, thank you for your input. I removed the side panels this morning to dig into this leak a bit further, the area was gummed up pretty badly so I degreased and washed off the whole area in hope of locating the leak. But how do I disconnect the loader hose for removal/repair? I know it's a stupid question but I've never played with hydraulic hoses and connectors before. And when removed is there a check valve that will prevent fluid from continually leaking out 'till the repair has been completed?

I have an additional question, what is this tall shifter used for? It seems to be locked in place so I don't see the purpose it ought to serve.
shifter2.jpg

shifternut.jpg

Thanks again for all your great inputs guys!

Last edited:
   / IH 584 #7  
When I looked at the picture of your loader valve again I looks more like the two quick disconnects on the top are leaking. You might clean it up good and watch and see if that is where it is coming from. If that is the case they are easy to change and you can get them at any ag supply store for pretty cheap. The silver collar on them should slide up and then they should pull off.

As for the picture of the lever you have posted is for your rear remote valve. The wing nut should loosen and swing out of the way. The little plate is just to hold it in position. In the picture it looks like it might have been modified to lock your remote on. Does your loader valve have two hoses that go to the back of the tractor and plug into the two quick disconnects?

/ IH 584
huskerhayman, you are right, there are 2 remote quick disconnect lines in the back of the tractor. It now makes sense as to why this shifter's locked in place.

Yes, the leaks do emanate from the quick disconnects so maybe they are worn? It almost seems that when the tractor seats in the sun the heat makes the hydraulic pressure increase and that when the valves start leaking. Is this possible? Next weekend when I go back to the farm I'll disconnect the fittings per your instructions and see if I can have them fixed/replaced. Today I removed the cover and degreased/washed off the loader valves, there was all sort of what appears to be years worth of crud caged onto them.

I am glad I bought this 584, it appears to be a very solidly built tractor but it appears it'll be a work in progress before it becomes top notch once again.

/ IH 584 #9  
there are o rings in the disconnects that can be replaced.

/ IH 584
Now that makes sense, thanks cowski!