How much is a 404 worth?

/ How much is a 404 worth? #1  

Anonymous Poster

Due to purchasing a new Mahindra today I now have a need to sell my IH 404 Utility, gas. It has a fairly new Bison 500 FEL, power steering, non-live PTO(main reason for buying a new tractor, to run a square bailer) homemade 3pt hitch that uses a cylinder running off the remotes, runs good,doesn't use oil, but has a habit of wearing out the pilot bushing which tends to keep the tranny turning and can only be shifted at dead idle. I had the intermediate shaft out and straightened/trued but it still wore out the pilot bushing again(dang!). Anyhow, it sets up a pretty annoying vibration when you rev the engine up with the clutch depressed. Hey, I am only trying to be honest here. So any suggestions to what it might be worth with a 5' foot brushhog on it? I am thinking $4500 after looking at new and used tractors for a few months now. Thanks for any input, Chet

/ How much is a 404 worth? #2  
Chet,

I looked at the following page Yesterday's Tractors and found there a 1969 IH404 that was sold as reconditioned in 1997 for a $1,000.00. Not sure why that one went so cheap. The problem is you don't really know the condition plus there is only one 404 listed there. If there was more you could get a better idea. Also I am sure there wasn't a loader on that tractor.

The area you live in makes a difference also.

Murph

/ How much is a 404 worth? #3  
Farther down the same list is a 1960 404 selling for 3750, just says complete.

/ How much is a 404 worth? #4  
Yeah your right. If I read that right it was sold in 1969??

What year is the one your trying to sell?

Murph

/ How much is a 404 worth?
Mine is a 1964 model according to the serial number. The one on YT does seem too cheap at $1000. Chet

/ How much is a 404 worth? #6  
Chet,

Yours is a little newer than the 1960 that sold in 1969 for 3,750.00. I would think that tractor held its value and even maybe with inflation you should be able to get 4 or 5 grand for it. I wonder if you could do a search for one of them to see if a dealer has one someplace and what they are selling it for?

Start High!!! you can always go down.
Murph

/ How much is a 404 worth? #7  
Chet,you had me stumped on the 404. I never have seen one of them myself. I've seen plenty of 414,424,434,444,454,464,....but never a 404, a 504 yes. So maybe this tractor of your's would have some collectors appeal. I wonder how many were built? Maybe they never sold them up here either,not sure on that?

/ How much is a 404 worth? #8  
Woodbeef,
Here is some information on that tractor. I picture sure would help but I can't find that anyplace.

International Harvester

Manufactured: 1961 - 1968

Cost: $3,300 (1968)

Horsepower:
Drawbar: 33.4
PTO: 36.70

Engine:
Fuel: gas
Cylinders: 4
Displacement: 135 ci
Manufacturer: International Harvester

Transmission:
Forward: 4
Reverse: 1

Capacity:
Fuel (Gal):

3-Point:
Category: I

Tires:
Front: 5.00-15
Rear: 11.2-36

Weight: 3556 lbs

Serial Numbers:

I know this doesn't help anyone other than my post count.

Murph

/ How much is a 404 worth? #9  
Hey thcri,

Thanks. Maybe we'll get lucky and ol JM3 has a picture of one stashed away somewhere in his tractor pics archival vault!!

So what has me wondering is what frame was it built on. The smaller IH 400 series? Or a bigger longer type like the 504?

/ How much is a 404 worth?
Woodbeef, I have never seen any of the other models you mentioned. thcri's post of specs is correct as far as I know. The emblem says it is a 404 Lo-Boy, built as a utility tractor I imagine. It does have a low ground clearance. I have seen one other at the Brinkley auction in Idabel, OK, but did not stay as late as would have been needed to see it sell. There was a picture of one at the YT site a while back, might still be there. Chet