Tractor
    Case 580C(198?)

Default Case 580C Backhoe Transmission Problem

Hey guys, I'm shopping for a backhoe. I called about one today that isn't running at the moment. The current owner says it was parked about a year ago. He said that it wouldn't shift unless they took the top of of the transmission and moved things around to get it to go. He thought the syncros might be bad. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong. Hopefully it's an easy fix. I'm currently deployed to Iraq and I'm planning to have a friend go and get it for me. Just want to make sure I'm not biting off more than I can chew. I'm am a mechanic by trade but I've never worked on one of these. Any help would be much appreciated.

Steve

Tractor
    case 580D

Default Re: Case 580C Backhoe Transmission Problem

shreck, I would not buy that one because the tranny could be expensive and it you do it yourself well, they are heavy unlike a car tranny. On the other hand it could be just the yoke is busted that is why they have to open the top to shift.

Tractor
    Case 580C(198?)

Quote Originally Posted by flatbed View Post
    shreck, I would not buy that one because the tranny could be expensive and it you do it yourself well, they are heavy unlike a car tranny. On the other hand it could be just the yoke is busted that is why they have to open the top to shift.

Thanks for the reply. I actually bought the backhoe but I haven't picked it up yet since I'm out of the country at the moment. I was talking with a fellow in another thread and it sounds like it's just going to be a linkage problem. Thanks again.

Steve

Tractor
    case 580D

Sorry, did not know you already bought the machine. However, the fork have also pins and this pins are small and could be busted and replacing is an easy fix. Good luck.