stalling problem International 444

/ stalling problem International 444 #1  

Birch Hill Farm

Bronze Member
Tractor
International 444
I have a mid 1970s model International 444 that is having some problems. It had an aftermarket inline 12v fuel pump that just went out, any time it was under a load it would just die so I checked the pump and it was not pumping at all. Replaced it with a another pump from autozone a 5-9 psi 30 gph inline pump. It ran better for an hour but, now it stalls and dies any time you hit a big bump or let the clutch out a bit fast. It mostly does this on level or down hill sections it has yet to die climbing hills. Almost anytime you go from load to no load transition it tends to want to die. It always restarts after cranking it for a minute with a puff of black smoke. Its doing this now about every pass around a 5 acre field cutting hay. After the last time I pulled the plugs to have a look, they are black but dry. Could this pump be too much/too little pressure? I have no idea what psi the old pump was it was 10 years ago when we installed it. Could it be electrical? I completely rewired last spring, and i have checked for shorts. please help i have to finish cutting this field! Im out of ideas
-jon

/ stalling problem International 444 #2  
If it's one of those little Mr. Gasket pumps, more than likely the pump itself. I had 2 on my Bobcat, before I figured out the pump got so hot, it quit pumping fuel. You can hear the different pitch in it, when it doe this...

Instead of shutting itself off, when it reached said psi, it just keep running. Apparently the little occilating piston in there swells from the heat, and sticks. I would let my Bobcat cool for maybe 20 minutes, and it would run great for maybe 15 minutes, then like vapor lock. Ended up going back to the original manual pump, that they said was a bear to change. At most, a 2 hour job, and that was pulling the engine out of the compartment. Hasn't missed a lick to this day.

Bates Corp. shows an OEM electric pump on their site for $253.16. Kinda' pricey, but will more than likely solve your problem. Or..., as back in the old days when I had my '67 Imala SS, I put an electric pump on it, but it shut off, when it reached max. psi, then kicked back on when it dropped. You'd just have to check with a speed shop to find one of these... And they could possibly be half the price for the OEM. Choice is yours...

/ stalling problem International 444 #3  
I'd look at the bottom of the carb and the possibility of the float or an electrical problem with the electrical fuel shut off on the bottom of the carb if so equipped.

We have been seeing a lot of floats sticking with the ethanol in the gas.

/ stalling problem International 444
Thanks for the replys! I found the problem, the tractor needs 1-4psi and the pump I put on was pushing 5-9psi. Put a adjustable fuel pressure regulator on and set it on 4psi and it has been running great so far.