IH 574 Hydraulic problem

/ IH 574 Hydraulic problem #1  

FParrish

Tractor
IH 574
I've owned an IH 574 for several years. The lift and brakes were weak so I decided to change the hydraulic filter. I did this (I hope correctly) and then I attempted to bleed the brakes. When I opened one of the bleeders and pushed the brake, no fluid came out. I then discovered I had NO hydraulics. The power steering and lift do not work. I took off the filter and put it back on several times, thinking I had installed it incorrectly. I've tried to bleed the system through the brake bleeders, cycled the lift lever many times, but cannot get any hydraulic pressure. Could it be air in the system or did I mess up something else when I changed the filter? Thanks for any help. (Sorry for the long explanation.)

/ IH 574 Hydraulic problem #2  
You might already know, but that tractor has to be run at about 1600 rpm for 3 minutes, then shut down to check the hydraulic fluid. You might have lost enough fluid that it can't pick any up.

/ IH 574 Hydraulic problem
Thanks, but I did that and checked the fluid level. There's plenty of hydraulic fluid.

/ IH 574 Hydraulic problem #4  
Normally a gear pump is self priming, if no suction leaks.

The hyd pump probably lost the prime, You might put an air gun at the filler cap and add a little air pressure to help the pump pick up prime.

Thanks for that advice. I would never have thought to do that. I'll give it a try today. It does seem like the pump isn't primed.

/ IH 574 Hydraulic problem #6  
The brakes work off residual in the system. You could just use the steering wheel to try to get it to lift. To have not had much to begin with, this might have given it an excuse to not pick it's prime.

I just put compressed air in the system by trying to block the filler hole with a wet cloth as I added the air. It didn't work. I have no hydraulic pressure in the power steering. The steering wheel turns some, but not the wheels. I'm at a loss as to what to do.

I got it fixed! I disconnected the line from the pump to the power-steering cylinder and let the tractor run for about 15 minutes. It kept pumping air until finally, it caught, and a got a good stream of fluid from the pump. Reconnected it, and I have hydraulics again. I really know nothing about hydraulic systems. I appreciate your interest and suggestions.