Front wheel hub removal?

/ Front wheel hub removal? #1  

rruss

I have a cracked wheel hub on an IH 3514 Industrial Loader/Backhoe.

I have a replacement hub in hand, but can't figure out how to remove the center cover on the hub (without completely mangling it).

Thoughts?

/ Front wheel hub removal? #2  
I'm assuming here it is a press in type..?? I use a smaller rubber faced, or small dead blow hammer. Strike it lightly with outward strokes, turning it and striking in different spots. Unless there is a lot of paint on it, holding it, it should start to move. Just keep working your way around, and try to get it to come out evenly.

/ Front wheel hub removal? #3  
If the cover is too short to strike, I have also used a pair of water pump pliers, to get on the rib on the cap, next to the hub. Just takes some wiggling back and forth, to get it to move.

Hope this helps..!!

/ Front wheel hub removal?
Sorry for not replying sooner - this project hasn't gotten to the top of my stack yet!

The cover doesn't extend out past the hub. It appears to be pressed in, but it's totally withing the cast hub. There are two notches in the hub, where it is shallow enough to try to use a screwdriver to pry, but it won't budge (hence the comments about mangling it). It has a lot of paint on it as well.

I'll stop by the IH dealer to see if new caps are available, and then just get it off by any means necessary :)