Case 530 CK Serial Number

/ Case 530 CK Serial Number #1  

nimblemotors

Silver Member
Tractor
Case 530 CK Sold, Ford Ranger DIY Project
Hello, I am the proud new owner of what I believe is a Case 530 CK.
However, the seller thought it was a 1953, and the 530 CK was '60-67.
Looking at tractordata serial numbers, the one on my dataplate isn't even close, it is a 4063xxx. It certainly looks like a 530 CK from other pictures I've seen. I have attached a picture of it. I don't think it has a "shuttle" though, no lever for it that I see. Could this be an older 530 tractor that a backhoe was attached to?

This is my first equipment, will be using it to build a house, level the ground, digging etc.
I have almost no experience with hydraulics, I hope you guys can help me out, as this thing is old and will need a lot of work I'm sure.

My first problem besides the ID, is the engine will stall when the backhoe tries to actually dig, i.e. put a real load on it. It operates fine just moving the backhoe around. What might be the cause of this? the pump is bad?
The gas engine itself seems to run good and rev up, and drives around OK.

Also have one of the stablizer arms that doesn't lift the tractor, it just kinda hisses when the load is on it and stops moving. The cylinder leaking?

Appreciate any help, quite excited to play with my new big boy toy! :)

Attachments

• IMAG0788.JPG
    IMAG0788.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 5,657
   / Case 530 CK Serial Number #2  
It looks a lot like the 310B I had. If you notice the decals, I too thought I was looking at a 530, until I saw the number on the ID tag.

How many lugs are on the rear wheels..?? Early 310's had 6 lugs, later production had 8. Just looked at Case/IH to confirm, but all 530's ad 8 lug rear wheels.

As far as the engine stalling. when digging, I found I needed to run the engine at at least half throttle. That is a big pump on the front, and if indeed a 310, a lot of pump for a 30 some horse engine. Then again, you may want to check and see if the by-pass valve is working. On mine, it was located in the conglomeration of plumbing, near the loader controls.

Sounds like the packing is bad in the stabilizer cylinder. Case used more than several different cylinders in that era. There were two hoe units used on these series outfits. Either a model 31 or 32. If the tag is still there, should be on the upper control tower, visible from the operators seat.

If it is not there, probably best to go to Case Construction, and compare your unit, to the 31 or 32. CASE

The cylinder part number should be cast into the endcap of the cylinder. You can narrow things down, and see what packing kit you need. Or, if you have a good hydraulic shop nearby, they should be able to get the right one.

Hope this helps..!!

Attachments

• DSC00031.JPG
    DSC00031.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 5,994
   / Case 530 CK Serial Number
Thanks for the reply. Was beginning to wonder if I came to the right place.

It does look the same as your 310B, I think mine has 6-lug rear wheels,
and as it seems I don't have the "shuttle", but just a gear selector, so it would not be a 530CK, although they look pretty much the same.
So I think I must have a 1958 or 1959 310B.
Few 310B compared to the 530CK, so I hope parts are not an issue!

The Hoe tag is there, similiar 40xxxxx serial number as the tractor, the model number is not visible, so can't tell is 31 or 32, just like no model number on the tractor plate.

Regarding the stalling, we did try it at half throttle, maybe it just needed to warm up, didn't run it very long before trying the hoe.

I will look into how to repack the cylinder and try that.
Thanks for all your help!
Jack

/ Case 530 CK Serial Number #4  
As far as parts for the tractor, they are pretty much available. A handy source to look up parts is Messicks, which is a sponsor here. Messick's | Dealer for New Holland, Case IH, Kubota, Cub Cadet and More | Online Parts, Sales & Service.

Click on Case/IH between New Holland, and Kubota at the top of the page. This will take you to a page, where you type in your model number at the right. Type in "300B". A menu will appear, and 300B series Case tractors will appear below. Click on search.

A menu will appear, complete with exploded view of every component of your tractor. You can also go through Case/IH, but Messicks has the part price in their listing.

Might be an idea to find several part numbers on the tractor, and compare to part numbers listed on there, and see if it is indeed a 310B. Parts numbers should be cast into the part somewhere.

Many times, I'll copy and paste the part number to Google, and look for aftermarket parts, or, if someone has parts listed on Ebay, with part number, it will appear.

I also put a saved search on Ebay for "Case 300". I found two shift towers for my 310B, just for spare parts, as the reverser parts of the shifter is a weak link. The shifter handle alone through Case IH at the time was about $500.00, now N/A. I bought both complete towers for $35.00 ea. + plus shipping. Worth it to me to have lying around.

I went through mine pretty well from one end to the other replacing seals, brakes etc. So if you have any problems, feel free to PM me here... I learned a few things along the way, and hope to make it easier for others, if they come across some of the things I did.

I finally have it at my house now. It has 8-lug rear wheels, so not sure what that means, 310B or 530CK. Given how old it is, it wouldn't be a surprise if it has a mix-match of parts.

I drove it about 5 miles and it made it all the way home until I went to pull up the driveway and it stalled and wouldn't start again.
It seems to me it doesn't have much power at all, any incline and it struggled to keep running. It seems to me that it is running very rich, got a lot of spark and flames out the muffler when warming it up, and needed very little or no choke to start it this cold morning.
That would also explain the stalling when digging?

I suspect the carb's float needle is bad and is letting it flood, seems to leak fuel just sitting there, and previous owner installed a fuel cutoff from the tank. Now before I take it apart, I would need to be sure to get the parts to fix it, would the gas motor be the same no matter 310B or 520CK?

/ Case 530 CK Serial Number #6  
It could still be a 310B, they went to an 8 lug wheel after serial # 6128060.

I did some checking, and the serial number tag should be on the steering cowling, if it is still there. The 530's were on the right side, of the dash cowling. Mine was taken off, but seems there is some sort of tag on the left side, down low somewhere, like just ahead of the trans. case.

Sounds like maybe just the float needs adjusted. The specific gravity for leaded, and unleaded gas is different. Could be a speck of something not letting the needle valve close too. I'd drain the bowl, catching it in something clean, and see if there is much residue in it. The carb can be easily removed, and taken to the bench to be taken apart, and cleaned... I'd try this, before worrying about parts. I wish I could tell you what the proper float setting is, but the manuals went with the hoe... Could even be a sunk float, with a pinhole in the float, or leaking at the soldered joint.

Engines are different, for the 310 and 530. The 310 had the 148 cu. in.,and the 530 a 159 cu. in.

See if you can find a casting number on the cyl. head, or block. Should start with a "G". Something like G1000 or G1235, that would be the 310, 148 engine.

I read a while back an easy way to see the fuel level in the bowl. Find a barbed fitting that fits in the bowl drain, and attach a piece of clear plasitc tubing. Bow/bend the tubing straight up 180 degrees, then turn on the gas.

I can't seem to find a serial number on the engine, is there anything else that we identify the differences between a 148 and 159 engine?
I am stripping the paint, and found a 530 under the paint. I'm leaning towards it being a 530 (not a CK) that had a backhoe attached later.

The fuel problem was ultimately that the carb gasket was installed upside down so the float bowl just spilled out into the carb throat.
That combined with the added electric fuel pump that put out 14psi with no regulator to bring it down to 4psi, and it was dumping fuel, amazing it even ran like that!

It still seems to have a hard time restarting, maybe now it runs too lean, the carb throttle shaft is super loose.

It could still be a 310B, they went to an 8 lug wheel after serial # 6128060.

I did some checking, and the serial number tag should be on the steering cowling, if it is still there. The 530's were on the right side, of the dash cowling. Mine was taken off, but seems there is some sort of tag on the left side, down low somewhere, like just ahead of the trans. case.

Sounds like maybe just the float needs adjusted. The specific gravity for leaded, and unleaded gas is different. Could be a speck of something not letting the needle valve close too. I'd drain the bowl, catching it in something clean, and see if there is much residue in it. The carb can be easily removed, and taken to the bench to be taken apart, and cleaned... I'd try this, before worrying about parts. I wish I could tell you what the proper float setting is, but the manuals went with the hoe... Could even be a sunk float, with a pinhole in the float, or leaking at the soldered joint.

Engines are different, for the 310 and 530. The 310 had the 148 cu. in.,and the 530 a 159 cu. in.

See if you can find a casting number on the cyl. head, or block. Should start with a "G". Something like G1000 or G1235, that would be the 310, 148 engine.

I read a while back an easy way to see the fuel level in the bowl. Find a barbed fitting that fits in the bowl drain, and attach a piece of clear plasitc tubing. Bow/bend the tubing straight up 180 degrees, then turn on the gas.

/ Case 530 CK Serial Number #8  
There should be numbers cast into the block, or head somewhere. If you can find one of these, it will distinguish which it is. Since you found a 530 under the paint, more than likely it is....

Here is a link I found on 530's, when looking for info on what I thought I had... There is a wealth of info here in the menu at the top left. Service/repair manuals, etc... Should help you out until, or, you decide to get hardcopy ones.

Case 530CK - Tractor Specs