Tractor
    Case 580 CK

Default Looking for Serial No. on Case 580

Hi, I am new to this forum . . . I just "inherited" a Case 580 Backhoe-Loader. I am not sure the exact model, I think it is either a 580 or 580B. I found a table that will tell me the model based on the serial number, but I cannot find the serial number. I thought it was supposed to be on the steering column, but there is nothing. Any place else I should be looking?

This tractor seems to run pretty good, but the hydraulic system is full of water and most of the hoses are bad, and many of the hydraulic cylinders are leaking. I am going to attempt to rebuild all of this stuff, and then I am going to build a garage, workshop, and swimming pool . . . this could be a life-long endeavor, so wish me luck!

Default Re: Looking for Serial No. on Case 580

If i remember right, its on the right hand side of the steering column, easier to view from the ground than the operators station.

Those cylinders aren't too bad to rebuild, and the kits are cheap. There's a couple different versions of some of those cylinders so when you get kits they will want to know what type of rod wiper seal it has. When in doubt take pictures.

This is a great place to get seal kits from. Call and talk to them, they know older case backhoes.
    new used parts for Case tractor, backhoe, dozer, machinery & heavy construction equipment.

The water in the hydraulics most likely got in around those leaky cylinders. I've been there, done that before. Drain all the hydraulic oil and repack all the leaky cylinders and you'll be in good shape.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    NH TC45D

Jim,

Did you find the serial number?

Chris

Tractor
    Case 580 CK

No, I haven't found it yet . . . there is a number on the right side of the steering column that is part of the casting . . . it starts with AS, while the serial number I am expecting starts with an 8. There does not seem to be a nameplate, or any markings where a nameplate might have been.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Massey 180 Diesel

You may be able to at least determine if it is a 580, or 580B by using the engine serial number. At least if it is the original block. I've attached a picture, if you haven't already found it. Located on the right side, right behind the oil filter.

580's engine block numbers started around 2639536.

580B's started at 2711005, according to the Case Construction parts site.

Here is a link to it: CASE

1. Place your cursor on "parts and service", in menu at the top of the page. ( It's pretty small print) A drop down menu will appear.

2. Select "Search for parts", and click on it.

3. Type in "580",where it says "model", on the next page that appears, and all the 580 models appear.

Select your choice on whichever 580 model you wish, then you can drill on down, selecting serial numbers for engine castings, part numbers, etc.

You could probably narrow it down further by looking up certain casting/part numbers, such as you found on the steering column.

There should be a S/N on the hoe too. Probably on the control tower. There should be casting numbers on some of the hyd. cylinders, if that tag is missing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -case-engine-serial-number-location  

Tractor

how can i know the year of mi case, i have serial number : 17549805 is case 580.

thanks for your help