case 885 pto problem

/ case 885 pto problem #1  

tarzali phil

Tractor
Case IH 885 xl
I have a Case IH 885 xl that I purchased a few months back. I have used the pto once with a post hole borer when I first got the tractor but now when I try it with a slasher it turns slowly but stops with any resistance
It has a front end loader that is working . Howevert the FEL and hydraulics including steering tends to fail when working for extended periods with tractor facing downhill. This has been a problem since I purchased it, not just with current PTO issue. Help!

/ case 885 pto problem #2  
First thing i think you need to do is a hydraulic filter change. Its located under l/hand rear wheel , you will see a filter bowl on side of tranny!! Depending on age of oil that may need changing as well

/ case 885 pto problem
Thanks, Oil and filter was changed prior to purchase but will try a new filter . Is the filter the same as the loader hydraulics and power steering uses ?

/ case 885 pto problem #4  
This filter is the filter for the 3pt hitch hydraulics and steering ??

/ case 885 pto problem #5  
O/k the Priority valve supplies first oil to steering. This oil then returns to feed brakes, 2speed power shift or FWD/REV shuttle if fitted. Then 2/4wd if fitted then IPTO and returns to transmission via oil cooler.

Oil not needed by steering circuit goes to 3pt hitch and FEL if fed from hitch circuit.? auxiliary valves.

Systems going lazy with tractor pointing down hill for awhile ??

Is oil level correct ?. Upto 20 litres of overfill can be added to overcome this situation!! Problem may be caused by a non functioning internal transfer pump ,Or ablocked strainer on that pump??

Silly Question ?? what oil are you using and what is the ambient temperature when problems occur ??

/ case 885 pto problem
Thanks, That explains why the PTO would be first to fail.
Filter is dirty with what appears to be brake or clutch lining material clogging it. $$$$$ ??.

I have overfilled oil previosly by 5-10 liters and have noticed an improvement with hydraulics when working downhill so that would suggest transfer pump. Transfer from where to where ?

Operating temp or ambient air temp approx 25-30 degrees C. I have been topping oil up with iso grade 68 hydraulic oil. I am not sure what oil was in it when purchased but it been recently change along with filters. ( less than 20 hrs ago )

/ case 885 pto problem #7  
Good info !!!!

I need confirmation of your tractor build??

Does it have 2speed Powershift or Fwd / Rev transmission ??

Is it 2wd or 4wd ??

So i can give you an accurate diagnosis of problem !!!

Operating ambient temp is o/k

Oil used ISO 68 is in my opinion too thick .

The best oil would be IH or Case IH Hytran + or an industry equivalent

The bits on the filters are they fine and paper like or do they appear to be amore fibrous material ??

/ case 885 pto problem
Hey not sure on gear box terminology but it has 4 gears high and low range with all gears split through a electronic toggle switch on dash . ( a forward reverse transmision ? )
Tractor is 4wd
The bits found in the filter are quite uniform in size being roughly 5mmx12m (rectangular in shape ) and a bit less than 1mm thick. They are what I would call quite fibrous. Most smaller pieces could have quite easily have originated from similair pieces.
Thanks for the interest , I hope this is helpful in diagnosing problem

/ case 885 pto problem #9  
O/k you have std transmission with 2speed powershift (electrical switch on dash) and 4wd

The friction materials which could block hydraulic filter could be plate linings (paper like material from 2speed power shift, 4wheel drive and or IPTO clutch friction plates.

More fibrous material could be the lining from the hand brale band, fits around the rear differential.

before you strip we need to conduct some hydraulic tests, can u get hold of fittings and a hydraulic test gauge upto 500psi. ?????

My spot diagnosis as at present is that the hand brake band is worn and IPTO clutch plates are worn and need replacing ????

Hand brake band can be left partially on and tractor driven causing early failure, there is an orange warning light on dash (if it is working???)

/ case 885 pto problem
Hi I have attached photo of material in filter. scale is mm rule ( Ithink, if upload works )

I should be able to source a suitable guage and fittings for testing.

Tractor handbrake has not worked well since purchase . No switch found on lever ( mount for switch found ) hence no handbrake light. I did reverse tractor recently approx 50 meters while not aware handbrake was on.

Attachments

• IMG_0295.JPG
    IMG_0295.JPG
    990.2 KB · Views: 1,030