784 TA/Reverser/electrical problems

/ 784 TA/Reverser/electrical problems #1  

Sawdustsmb

Silver Member
Tractor
TL80a, Ford 4000, Super H, F 12, F14
A friend of mine bought a Int. 784. We are working on it in my garage. It seems to run good - starts good even in the cold. Has a few problems. There is a grommet in the left side of the dash panel but no lever for either the TA or Reverser. With the side panels off I can see the holes where it should be going but don't see anything for any linkage to connect to. Was the TA and/or Reverser an option not all models had or do I just not know where to look? Most of the grounds for the lights are bad and can be fixed. There is a push button switch on the right side just outside the brake pivot point below the front corner of the battery box - no wires to it and there is nothing to push on it. I have an IT manual and have searched Case/IH parts diagrams but they are not helping. An electrical diagram sure would be nice!!!! Thank you for any thoughts / help. Oh and the brake MC or equalizer leak - can be rebuilt - remind me of the brakes on my old 9n.

Bob

/ 784 TA/Reverser/electrical problems #2  
When the T/A and reverser were introduced, they were options on IH utilities. Tractors were available with one or the other, or neither.

/ 784 TA/Reverser/electrical problems
Thanks Rick, I bet most came with the TA.

Bob

Here is a pic of the mystery switch - there are no wires in the neighborhood or anything to push on it. It obviously has been used. Zion drainage system 083.jpg I hope this works!!!!!

/ 784 TA/Reverser/electrical problems #7  
Push button switch by brake pedals would be for the brake lights.

Clutch safety switch as mentioned above would be on L/Hand side ????

Last edited:
Correct there is a switch on the clutch side. This one is on the brake side and while it is near the right brake it does not come close to lineing up. I don't see any place anything would be attached to the brake pedal to contact it. Note it is pointed foward although that could have been reversed by someone. The clutch switch points back. This one is also normally closed. Contacting or pressing on it will open the circuit.

/ 784 TA/Reverser/electrical problems #9  
Can't find any photo's of this area with switch correctly mounted.

What i think is this :- switch is correctly mounted in bracket, but bracket is mounted wrong way round!!!.

Remove the two bolts which fasten bracket to tranny casing and turn bracket round (switch button may align with one of vertical legs on pedal(s).

Switch up against pedals in upper position, button depressed, contacts open , brake lights off press down on pedals switch contacts close , brake lights on!!!!

See how that goes ???

cyrush, You are absolutely correct. The bracket is slotted for adjustment. Only works with the left brake or when they are locked together which would be correct for road travel. I need to remind my novice friend of that!!!! Now the only question is why a 65 year old who has worked on farm machinery all his life doesn't insist on power washing before mechanical work.!?

Thanks guys,

Bob