Default 585 Case IH problem

Lets see how hard this is to explain.

My 585 at random times while say running the PTO will all the sudden become hard to steer like the pump quit working. It becomes very jerky or sporadic at best. At the same time the pto begins to stop powering the implement. Basically the only remedy I've found when it starts this is to turn the pto off for a few seconds and then kick it back in gear.

Any ideas on what is happening to cause this?

Tractor
    CIH

Default Re: 585 Case IH problem

I had a 485 with shuttle shift and it would act the same as you are desribing with your 585.
    We attributed it to over heating of the hyd. oil so we cleaned out the hyd radiator and changed the filter and it mostly took care of the problem.
    If it was super hot out in the 90's and the tractor had been running for 3-4 hours working fairly hard it would act up.
    We would shut it down go for lunch and start up after noon

Silver Member

Pinus

Is the oil level in the transmission correct? What oil are you using ??

Is your machine an IH or a Case IH ??

When problem occurs is tractor working facing down hill ??, or uphill ??, and how steep is the slope ???, also how long on the slope before problem occurs

The primary circuit is from pump, to flow divider, to Fwd/Rev shuttle or T/A, to PTO, then oil cooler and brakes so any problem on steering will affect the others

Problem could be shortage of oil, Blocked transfer pump screen or broken transfer pump or displaced oil level bung (Internal)
    Last edited by cyrush; 02-27-2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: xxxxx?????

Although it does leak fluid and gets low, it seems to do it regardless. Not sure what oil I'm using right now but I can look in the shed.

It is a Case IH. It seems to do this on fairly level ground just thinking about the field I mowed for hay. No pattern there I can think of.

Does the pump run the pto as well or have an effect on it?? This tractor does not have a shuttle shift.

Thanks,

Brad

Silver Member

The transfer pump only transfers oil to the rear section of the transmission so there is enough oil for the hydraulic systems

The main high pressure pump supplies pressurised oil for all hydraulics functions.

Problem could also be related to a blocked hydraulic filter, restricting oil floe to main pump, when was filter changed???

Thanks,,,,I'll tear into that filter and screen first and see what I find.

Platinum Member

One of my tractors runs the pto on the same shaft as the hydraulic pump. That may be why the two are connected.