Self-Servicing Case IH 495

/ Self-Servicing Case IH 495 #1  

TheIdiotFarmer

Tractor
Case IH 495
This is my first-ever TBN post -- and as this is my first-ever tractor, I guess it seems fitting.

I made the stupid mistake of trading a very nice 2002 Dodge RAM pickup with only 105K miles for a very (not) nice Case IH 495 with what looks like a very rough 4,000 hours on it. Anyway, it runs and actually seems to work well, but it leaks from... well... everywhere. I want to replace ALL fluids and filters on the thing, beginning first with the engine oil. The guy I traded with actually *bragged* about having the tractor for over FIVE YEARS, and just checked the oil for the FIRST TIME after we made the exchange, and opined how good the tractor was because it was only down 1/2 quart!

OUCH!

I need to get that black sludge out of there quickly, so I bought some nice, new Valvoline 15-40 and a WIX filter, but there are TWO filters on the right side of the engine, and I'm not sure which one is for the oil. Also, I just want to make sure I drain and refill the correct fluids, so can ANYONE tell me (pictures are a real plus, as I'm not that bright, in case you hadn't figured that out by this point) what other filters, screens, and fluids to get and what the best way is to go about doing a FULL replacement service on this thing?!

Thanks, and I did search the forums and did not find any of the information I need, so if I missed it, please provide a link.

Brendan
The Idiot Farmer :confused3:
Boaz, AL

/ Self-Servicing Case IH 495 #2  
I Guess you need to purchase an operators manual , from either E Bay or one of the many after market suppliers.

The engine oil filter is the one with no external pipe work going to it, fuel filters (2) have external pipework.

If the oil is as dirty as you say it may be advisable to get a flushing cleaner for diesels from local auto parts supplier and use as instructed.

Other service filters are Air cleaner (2) inner & outer & Hydraulic filter , located in filter bowl under L/ Hand axle.

You say you are using a 15 w40, which is the correct viscosity grade, but there are many additive specifications for this grade ?????, what are the API ratings of the oil ?? usually printed on the container or drum ??

If there are as many leaks as you say , it is best to get tractor cleaned, steam cleaner or pressure washer and vehicle wash detergent, then let leaks reoccur so you can see exactly where they are coming from. If you photograph them then post photo's on here , we can probably advise on the repair.

/ Self-Servicing Case IH 495
OK, thanks! That's all a good place to begin.

The Valvoline is the latest, non-synthetic oil available, so it likely meets all or most of the non-synthetic standards available.

I know synthetic, especially the newer synthetics, are MUCH better then "dino" oil. Should I assume those benefits carry over to tractors -- specifically 20-year-old models? I can't imagine ANY modern oil offers *less* protection. Oils have improved dramatically during that time.

I have a small fuel leak as well. It seems to be coming from the where the "plate" is fastened to the pump where the four "pipes" come out of, but I will take a photo of that as well. The leak is directly above the fuel filter on the LEFT side of the engine.

/ Self-Servicing Case IH 495 #4  
O/K

Problem with oil specs is that a modern oil can be too good for the application, stopping rings and liners bedding in or even allowing bores to glaze leading to increased oil consumption.!!! The problem is that the latest oil can give your 20/30 year old design of motor too much protection. Change frequency of your engine and the correct oil is 200hrs. Todays super oils can give protection to 500hrs, if specified correctly.?????

As an IH, Case IH service manager of over 33 years service i am very familiar with these engines characteristics and the effect of super oils on them , would still like to know the API spec rating of the oil you intend to use. ?????

/ Self-Servicing Case IH 495
cyrush said:
O/K

Problem with oil specs is that a modern oil can be too good for the application, stopping rings and liners bedding in or even allowing bores to glaze leading to increased oil consumption.!!! The problem is that the latest oil can give your 20/30 year old design of motor too much protection. Change frequency of your engine and the correct oil is 200hrs. Todays super oils can give protection to 500hrs, if specified correctly.?????

As an IH, Case IH service manager of over 33 years service i am very familiar with these engines characteristics and the effect of super oils on them , would still like to know the API spec rating of the oil you intend to use. ?????

Ok. I will get that info ASAP! Thanks for the help, and the info. It just seemed counterintuitive that better oil could actually be a problem, but that's what makes me not too bright ;-)

Also, I ordered both an operator's manual and a parts manual for the 495, per your recommendation. I would get a service manual, but I'm holding out until one pops up for considerably less than the $300 they seem to be fetching on eBay.

/ Self-Servicing Case IH 495 #6  
O/K , awaiting the API info and the photo's ?????