Oil in my 1950 Case DC exhaust !!!

/ Oil in my 1950 Case DC exhaust !!! #1  

JohnDeereFarm

Tractor
John Deere 2030 / 1950 Case DC / 1973 John Deere 4230
Hello to all out there. I have a 1950 Case DC. For a couple of months now, the front piston toward the radiator, or the #1 piston, has oil in the manifold thus blowing up and out the muffler. Should I use heavier oil, replace the piston rings, or what? I just don't know. The oil that I use in Case-IH oil sae 30.

/ Oil in my 1950 Case DC exhaust !!! #2  
Sounds like a stuck, or broken oil ring. Could possibly even be a worn valve guide. Have you done a compression test..?

Sounds like you're going to have to pull the head, and take a look. If the ring broke, hopefully it did not score the cylinder. If it's just stuck, I have freed them up, by letting the piston set in some solvent for a few days. I've also had them break, doing the same thing...

Check the other cylinders for wear too. If you can hook a fingernail at the top of the sleeve, where the top ring stops, it may be due for an overhaul. But thwen I've seen guys in the old tractor club here, just re-ring them, but they were just for show, and got by.

If you do decide to re-ring it, get a soft set of rings, like Hastings. Better for the rings to wear, instead of the sleeve.

Apparently sleeve and piston kits for these a few, and far between. I did find one set on the net, and that kit was $595.00 + shipping. John Saeli also shows them on his site, but no price.

/ Oil in my 1950 Case DC exhaust !!!
Well the tractor sat for 20 years and was stuck for the past 5 years. But there were only 2 cylinders stuck, the back two, the 2 front ones were free and the one that is seeping oil is the number one cylinder, which is located behind just behind the radiator. No I have not done a compression test, but I have replaced about all gaskets on the tractor, including the head gasket.

/ Oil in my 1950 Case DC exhaust !!! #4  
I run 30 weight in my 1945 Case Sc.

Looking in the dealer service manual it recommends

SAE 30 for summer above 90f
SAE 20 for spring and fall between 90f and 32f
SAE 10 for winter or temperature between 30f and 10f
SAE 10-W for temperatures below 10f

I only use my tractor for show and to haul loads of hay, so I run SAE 30 all year round. Check the oil and see if it is diluted. Gas can leak down around the rings if they aren't in the greatest shape and cause the oil to be more like water than oil becoming easier to get around old worn oil rings. Or if the oil is milky you can have water or moisture getting into it causing it to get diluted.
Another reason that can be causing this is to much oil in the oil pan.

If there is oil on my spark plugs, that tells me that the oil rings on the pistons are bad? Then, if I do a compression test, what should I read?

/ Oil in my 1950 Case DC exhaust !!! #6  
If I do a compression test, what should I read?

You should read on a Compression test between 100psi and 150psi. You should try the test dry and wet to help pinpoint the problem. If your rings are warn you will see a great difference in pressure between the two tests.

Well I took the head off and the piston out and low and behold, the oil ring was shot. It didn't score the sleeve so that was good. I'm going to replace all four of them while am at it. A month ago I bought a set off NOS special replacement rings, I mind that I may use them years from now. LoL!!

/ Oil in my 1950 Case DC exhaust !!! #8  
Good deal..!! :thumbsup: