Torque Amplifier What is it?

/ Torque Amplifier What is it? #11  
Case had a Case-a-Matic, Ford had a Dual Power, MF had a Multipower, IH had a TA, JD had something like it but I don't know what it was called(test drove a 2840 with it). I don't know if Oliver/White had one. I'd trade them all for a powershift/quadrange style tractor.

Case-O-Matic is a torque converter drive. Oliver had Hydra Power Drive (2 speed) then Over/Under Hydraul Shift (3 speed). Minneapolis Moline had Amplitorq and Allis Chalmers had Power Director.

/ Torque Amplifier What is it? #12  
Case-O-Matic is a torque converter drive. Oliver had Hydra Power Drive (2 speed) then Over/Under Hydraul Shift (3 speed). Minneapolis Moline had Amplitorq and Allis Chalmers had Power Director.

Ford I think had something called "selectamatic" but I don't think that was a splitter, ie a low and high for each gear. I think (hopefully someone will set me right on this) it was 4 gears - perhaps some sort of early powershift?

/ Torque Amplifier What is it? #13  
Ford I think had something called "selectamatic" but I don't think that was a splitter, ie a low and high for each gear. I think (hopefully someone will set me right on this) it was 4 gears - perhaps some sort of early powershift?

Select-O-Speed was the first full powershift transmission offered in a farm tractor. 10 forward, 2 reverse.

/ Torque Amplifier What is it? #14  
Just don't shift into the low side, when going down hill, expecting it to hold back. They will free wheel in the low side.

That depends on the model, a 686 will not hold back going downhill with TA in low. Some of the larger models, not sure where it starts, somewhere around 1086, maybe lower, will hold back going downhill. I read about it over on the Red P.... Forum.

/ Torque Amplifier What is it? #15  
Ya gotta get that fixed....they are cool.
You know when it's working...hang on!:thumbsup:

/ Torque Amplifier What is it? #16  
That depends on the model, a 686 will not hold back going downhill with TA in low. Some of the larger models, not sure where it starts, somewhere around 1086, maybe lower, will hold back going downhill. I read about it over on the Red P.... Forum.

We have a 1066 and the TA functions and will hold you back just fine. The only problem is knowing how/when to use it. If not done at the proper time the shifter will stay in limbo thus giving the feeling of not holding the tractor back. It is something you have to develop a feel for and works best moving the shifter slowly and not getting rammy with it. Also have a 706 gas tractor that functions the exact same way - well it did when it was running anyway. Grew up driving these two tractors.

/ Torque Amplifier What is it? #17  
Select-O-Speed was the first full powershift transmission offered in a farm tractor. 10 forward, 2 reverse.

Yep, not reall in the same category as a TA. The newer fords had dual power, which was the same idea as ta and all the others.

/ Torque Amplifier What is it? #18  
We have a 1066 and the TA functions and will hold you back just fine. The only problem is knowing how/when to use it. If not done at the proper time the shifter will stay in limbo thus giving the feeling of not holding the tractor back. It is something you have to develop a feel for and works best moving the shifter slowly and not getting rammy with it. Also have a 706 gas tractor that functions the exact same way - well it did when it was running anyway. Grew up driving these two tractors.

A good discussion on TA's:
IH Cub Cadet Forum: Let's talk Torque Amplifiers

There was a big discussion on which ones would freewheel and which ones wouldn't over at RedPower but I can't find it.

/ Torque Amplifier What is it? #20  
I always thought the TA was a valuable safety feature. Anyone who has ever run out of power with one of the old tractors while pulling a load up hill knows the real meaning of fear when you try to catch a lower gear before the tractor starts rolling backward.