340 clutch stuck

/ 340 clutch stuck #1  

malis1

Tractor
international 340 utility, john deere 318
My 340 was sitting a field for 8-10 years when I bought it a week ago. I can't get the clutch plate to disengage. I've tried pulling it in gear with the clutch Pedel depressed. Still won't break free. I'm trying not to have split the tractor just yet. Does anybody have any ideas?

/ 340 clutch stuck #2  
Were you riding the brakes some..?? I'm assuming it is a non-runner..?? I have seen one's in running condition, started in 1rst, or 2nd, and driven with cluth depressed, and riding the brakes, and it breaks free.

Then again, if it has been sitting, and an inspection cover would happen to be missing, the clutch housing could be full of mice/chipmunk nest, and not letting the pressure plate release.

On my old 310B Case backhoe I bought a couple years ago, I found it had a lot of walnut hulls, and probably 100' of nylon string, and other "stuff", wound up in the fingers, and springs of the pressure plate.

Those are fiber type disc's. so I don't believe a pentrant would be a good idea.

/ 340 clutch stuck
I did get it running. But it wasn't while we were dragging it. You hit the nail on the head with the walnuts & junk in the clutch housing. I got it all cleaned out. I can see the fingers moving when I moving.

/ 340 clutch stuck #4  
Chain the drawbar to something really solid (dunno, 60" tree?) put the rear on jackstands, start it and get the wheels spinning, pull it off the jackstands so the wheels hit the ground while turning and in gear? This will either work or cause millions of dollars in property damage and lives lost.

/ 340 clutch stuck
I am capable of all of that. Just ask my wife.:laughing:

/ 340 clutch stuck #6  
My old Ford 3400 would do the same thing, I used to put it High gear and crank it with the clutch in and the brakes mashed , always worked for me , not always on the first try though !

Good Luck !

C-ya

/ 340 clutch stuck #7  
I just had to do this on my 2444, I had tied the pedal down for several weeks, and i had one tire off the ground because of the replacing the rusted out rim, but what i did was put it in a high gear in high range and I rocked the tire using the free play in the transmission, and after a half dozen rocks on the tire it broke free, mine was sitting for several years, maybe this will help. I tried the pushing up against a tree but there was not enough impact to break the rust free, even the last time I drove it 3 years ago I couldn't break it free using the push pull a load method, mines rocking now, good luck....

/ 340 clutch stuck
So I tried driving the tractor into an oak tree in the yard. It has a front end loader on it, so it wasn't as bad as it sounds. The clutch did not break loose. Tried rocking the wheels, to no avail. I finally broke down and split the tractor to replace the clutch assembly. Funny it took 2hr to split it and several hrs. trying to break it loose. Should just have done it the right way the 1st time. " you were right dad". How funny, we don't listen.:thumbsup: