International 966 clutch/MCV issue...

/ International 966 clutch/MCV issue... #1  

farmallboy1980

Tractor
International
Hey everyone,
Last fall my 966 started to act like the clutch was going out on it. It had good response and power untill 3 or 4 high. Also, the torque amplifier worked in high and low, but when you put it into high it would seem to slide in. But in 3 or 4 high when you pegged the throttle, the engine would rev up as it should but it was ovbvious I was not going faster... So I just tore it apart and put a new clutch in. It actually had a 14" clutch, i am guessing someone replaced it at one time with a 1066 one... So I put a new clutch, pressure plate and bearings in and got it put back together today and it basically is doing the same thing!!! As you can imagine I am not to happy... All of the clutch, dump valve and TA adjustments are how the book says they should be. I did not change the hydraulic fluid, but it is at the full mark and the tractor is usually kept out of the rain. The hydraulic fluid and filter was changed a year ago. Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on??? I did not resurface the flywheel when I was in there. With the TA acting that way it seems like maybe a MCV problem. I dont know. Thanks for any and all replies!
Tom

/ International 966 clutch/MCV issue... #2  
Im afraid its your TA has gone out and the slippage you are getting is in the hyd clutch packs inside the front transmission case.

/ International 966 clutch/MCV issue...
But even with the TA forward the transmission still slips in 3 or 4 high when you punch the throttle. If the TA is back, on the low side, it does not seem to be as bad though. But I think it still slips some. If the TA were bad I didnt think that it would have an affect when you have the lever forward. Am I wrong?

/ International 966 clutch/MCV issue... #4  
But even with the TA forward the transmission still slips in 3 or 4 high when you punch the throttle. If the TA is back, on the low side, it does not seem to be as bad though. But I think it still slips some. If the TA were bad I didnt think that it would have an affect when you have the lever forward. Am I wrong?

Low regulated circuit pressure and a failed low side sprag would let the TA slip in either mode in higher gears. Too bad you didn't stick a pressure gauge is the side of it prior to splitting the tractor.

/ International 966 clutch/MCV issue... #5  
Thats correct. Its gonna slip in either mode.

Thanks guys. If I were to now put a pressure guage on it where would it go? I certainly can. I do have a manual so i will look at that too... I guess if I have to split it to reface the flywheel it was only about a 6 hour job for me to tear it apart and put her back together... Not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Although I would rather not do that again...

/ International 966 clutch/MCV issue... #7  
I wouldnt worry about the flywheel. The clutch disk will fit itself to any grooves or irregularities.

So if I can figure out how to test the pressures in the MCV, can this part be replaced without splitting the tractor again? Can the pump be replaced without splitting the tractor. It sounds like I probably should not just "baby" it for a while. Is this a good assumption?

/ International 966 clutch/MCV issue... #9  
The main pump can be replaced without splitting the tractor but your problem is more than likely in the hyd clutch packs that operate the TA. The seals in the clutch go bad causing a loss of presssure which allows slippage and destroys the clutch packs.

/ International 966 clutch/MCV issue... #10  
Sorry, I hit send too soon. So more than likely the TA will have to be replaced. Tractor will have to split again. TA is locacted in the front transmission case. Right behind the plate where you check pressure. One thing it could be is there are three oil tubes located behind the MCV that carry oil to the TA. The orings on these tubes could be leaking pressure there but once it starts slipping its usually ruined by then.