loader problems

/ loader problems #1  

jamesrodneybookout

i bould a ih 74l loader and put it on my 1984 case ih mod 1394 tractor, it had three levers, the first next to the seat is the rear for disc etc, i hooked the middle lever up to the bucket. it works fine but is slow opening up, closes fine. the far right lever i used on the loader up and down, there was only one hose going back to the hook up so i removed a plug from the side of the valve body and used it as a down for the loader. it works ok and will pick up a full load of dirt but it does not have power to pick the front tires up and i know i have something wrong in my hooks ups just dont know what. i am not a farmer or have much knoledge of hyd. no where on the valve body does it say where to hook up what and i have gone over the prints and dont see any how to there. the up on the loader will stay in the full up position until it reaches the full up and then kick back to center. it will also work fine for a little at a time. the center lever for the bucket returns to center but the bucket stays where you put it.

please help if you can. all the ih people have gone south in my area.

/ loader problems #2  
i bould a ih 74l loader and put it on my 1984 case ih mod 1394 tractor, it had three levers, the first next to the seat is the rear for disc etc, i hooked the middle lever up to the bucket. it works fine but is slow opening up, closes fine. the far right lever i used on the loader up and down, there was only one hose going back to the hook up so i removed a plug from the side of the valve body and used it as a down for the loader. it works ok and will pick up a full load of dirt but it does not have power to pick the front tires up and i know i have something wrong in my hooks ups just dont know what. i am not a farmer or have much knoledge of hyd. no where on the valve body does it say where to hook up what and i have gone over the prints and dont see any how to there. the up on the loader will stay in the full up position until it reaches the full up and then kick back to center. it will also work fine for a little at a time. the center lever for the bucket returns to center but the bucket stays where you put it.

please help if you can. all the ih people have gone south in my area.

Sorry to see you did not receive replies. I don't know anything and am here mostly looking for help too but I bet they would tell you to get a gauge and see what your pump pressure is first. There are threads, probably in the hydraulics section, that show how to test.

/ loader problems #3  
In general, a 3 spool valve will have 8 or 9 hoses.

6 work ports
1 pressure hose
1 tank hose

Maybe a PB hose.

Can you show some pictures and a diagram of hose hook up.

/ loader problems #4  
There are single acting remotes, which only have 1 hose. These will power up the cylinder, but only use gravity to collapse again, letting the weight of the implement squeeze the oil out of the cylinder.

There are double acting remotes, which use 2 hoses coming out of the valve body. These will have pressure in either direction, forcing oil under pressure to either the extend or retract side.

By hooking up the way you did, using only one port of the hydraulic valve, and just dumping oil into the plug of your tractor hyd case, it effectively is a single acting cylinder. When you move the lever to 'lift' it forces hyd oil into the lift side, while any oil on the other side of the cylinder freely flows into your hyd case. When you move the lever the other way to lower the loader, graviity is forcing oil out of one side of the cylinder, and air is going into the other side of the cylinder through that hose plumbed into the hyd case.

I'm not at all familiar with your tractor, and it might have a custom added hydraulic valve, so I can't give you steps to correct the problem, but - you need to set up that hydraulic valve as a double spool valve, possibly through a different port in the valve body, or whatever.

Put another way, you took a shortcut on the hyd oil path, and it is only working one way, not both ways. You need to route that hose through the propper port on the valve; or replace the valve with a proper one that allows double acting cylinders.

--->Paul