Wits End - Farmall A

/ Wits End - Farmall A #1  

SugarTractor

Tractor
'54 Ferguson TO-35 Deluxe, '52 Farmall Cub, 2012 Kubota L3800HST
I'm at wits end. I have this Farmall A. 2-4 trips around the outside of a 1.5 acre plot in plowed ground pulling a disc; it starts to break up and stalls out, and will NOT restart. Have replaced the Coil, rebuilt the 6V Generator, replaced the condenser, points, distributor cap and its cap wires, and new 6V Regulator. Plugs are too clean. "Cylinder 1 seems to have good thumb compression." Is getting gas into carb from tank ok.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreiciated.

-SugarTractor
WaltZ
secondenergy@gmail.com
IHartHarvest - The Potato Project

/ Wits End - Farmall A #2  
Have you verified that it's getting a good spark by removing a plug, connecting it to it's plug wire, and watching for a spark as you crank the engine?

/ Wits End - Farmall A
Cyl #1; Seems weak to me, but sparks, by hand crank.

/ Wits End - Farmall A
Maybe. I ordered a carb rebuild kit today...

/ Wits End - Farmall A #6  
Look for scuff marks on the float. It could be rubbing and hanging up. It could be varnish on the needle too, causing it to stick.

/ Wits End - Farmall A #7  
My 504 (different but similar) gave me similar fits. Turned out to be points. Changed them out a second time and it cleared up. Spent days messing with the carb etc.... Points just aren't what they used to be.

/ Wits End - Farmall A #8  
Have you checked the filter screen at the carb..?? The El going into the carb has a filter screen attached. If partially plugged, they will run fine, until on a pull.

You can always pull the drain plug on the bottom of the carb, to see if there is fuel inside the carb., when it does this. You can catch what fuel is in there in your hand, or a small can, or plastic tub, and check for contamination.

/ Wits End - Farmall A #9  
You need to do the quickest of all gas no-start tests - spray a shot of starting fluid into the carb. It it fires at all, your problem is fuel, if not, it's spark/compression/etc.