IH 444 clutch slipping

/ IH 444 clutch slipping #1  

Farmagain

Tractor
Kubota L4310
I have an IH 444 diesel with 3164 hours. I bought it 4 years ago with 3000 hours . The clutch has always slipped when pulling hard in any high range gear. It will spin the tires without slipping in the lower 4 gears but has always slipped under a heavy load in upper gears. It has not been a problem since I only use the lower gears and slower speeds when pulling something hard. I wonder if this is an adjustment issue or if the clutch is going out. If it needs replacing, how much work is it, and how much does it cost. I am a fair mechanic, but have never cracked a tractor open. Replacing an inverter in a Prius would be the most advanced job I've ever done, mainly just replaced radiators, starters, etc. Any input would be appreciated.

/ IH 444 clutch slipping #2  
I have an IH 444 diesel with 3164 hours. I bought it 4 years ago with 3000 hours . The clutch has always slipped when pulling hard in any high range gear. It will spin the tires without slipping in the lower 4 gears but has always slipped under a heavy load in upper gears. It has not been a problem since I only use the lower gears and slower speeds when pulling something hard. I wonder if this is an adjustment issue or if the clutch is going out. If it needs replacing, how much work is it, and how much does it cost. I am a fair mechanic, but have never cracked a tractor open. Replacing an inverter in a Prius would be the most advanced job I've ever done, mainly just replaced radiators, starters, etc. Any input would be appreciated.
Do you have clutch pedal free play(free travel of the clutch pedal before it contacts the throw out bearing or the TOB contacts the pressure plate)?

If you have free play and it slips it is most likely the pressure plate is weak and the clutch and all associated parts will have to be replaced.

/ IH 444 clutch slipping #3  
A clutch is fairly simple to replace in a tractor. Much easier than working on any auto. As far as adjustment is concerned just make sure your pedal has a little free play in it. If it doesnt have any then you may be able to adjust it to stop the slippage. It may have oil on it since it seem to have been slipping for some time without getting any worse.

/ IH 444 clutch slipping
Thanks guys, Yes it does have some free play in it. In fact, I have to really smash it against the floor to get the PTO in gear, and even then the PTO wants to grind a bit, so I pull the throttle all the way down before engaging the PTO. Wouldn't that indicate that there is no more room for adjustment or is the 2 stage adjustable for each stage? You mentioned oil on the clutch. So I gather this is a dry clutch, as is the brakes. If it is oil soaked is there any harm in just keep using it until it gets worse? I remember driving my old 1965 Corvair for a couple of years with a oily clutch. Never got worse, just annoying. Thanks again. You guys are very helpful.

/ IH 444 clutch slipping #5  
I would just keep running it until it gets to where the slippage starts to hinder using the tractor. Since you only use low range and are not having problems then I say, keep on truckin!

/ IH 444 clutch slipping #6  
Hey Farmagain, how goes the clutch? Just to post a concern about running with a clutch that is slipping. The flywheel may become scored and would have to be machined when you replace the clutch. If the scoring gets bad it could cost a flywheel. But on the other side, how much free play do you have in the clutch? If it is alot it could mean the pedal could have been over adjusted. $0.02ca.

/ IH 444 clutch slipping
Hi Brakeman. My post was a bit misleading in that I don't really ever let the clutch slip, but it would slip if you pull too hard in the top 4 gears. I know that slipping means skyrocketing temps and the end of life as I am accustomed. The feel of the clutch is good. The pedal goes down about 1.5" before you feel the pressure plate start to disengage. I think the oil theory is a good one, in that it has been the same for years without change. At any rate, I sold the tractor today, Craigslist for 24 hours and it was gone to the first looker. I'll probably be asking questions on another thread about Yanmar tractors. I sold my light duty bush hog as well and now need a tractor, disk harrow, and heavier rotary cutter. Thanks for all your help. This is a really great site where valuable experience can be shared.