Farmall Super A

/ Farmall Super A #1  

THREESHOTJOHN

Tractor
FARMALL SUPER A, ALLIS CHALMERS D17
I inherited a Super A so I'm not sure what age it is but smokes a lot while its running. What could be the problem? Also it will run for about a hour then cut off, hit the starter and it will start up and go about a minute then shut off. let it sit for a while and its good for about another hour.

/ Farmall Super A #2  
Therrshot,
I would look at the rings and maybe head gasket. Smoke and stalling then a "rest" before she starts sounds like getting hot.

/ Farmall Super A #3  
I inherited a Super A so I'm not sure what age it is but smokes a lot while its running. What could be the problem? Also it will run for about a hour then cut off, hit the starter and it will start up and go about a minute then shut off. let it sit for a while and its good for about another hour.

:welcome:

/ Farmall Super A #4  
Color of smoke will tell you a lot. White would be oil burning, darker bluish black would be too much fuel.

Stalling could be a couple of things. Fuel restrictions, or possibly ignition. When it stalls, check for spark, and fuel flow.

Could be coil getting hot... At time of stall, just real quick touch it... They DO get HOT..!! So fair warning..

Also check where the fuel line goes into the carb. Unless it has been changed to something else, there should be a mesh screen filter in the elbow going into the carb.

Could also be something in the tank. Dad bought an A back in about 1960. Drove it home, and quit more than several times on the way. Finally figured out, it was a wasp's abdomen in the tank, and was a perfect fit for the stand pipe.

Serial number tag I believe is on the seat bracket, next to the transmission. If you Google Farmall Super A, a link from tractor data should be at the top of the list. Follow that link, and it will give you some specs on your trctor. Scroll to the bottom, and serial numbers will be at the bottom left.

Those are neat little tractors. I have two, although not Supers, still are a workhorse for it's size..!!

/ Farmall Super A
Thanks everybody for the help I will look into the head gasket and rings. I did check the coil today after I finished plowing with it and it wasn't hot at all. However I will keep a check on that thanks also for the info on that. I just want to get this thing from smoking and cutting off on me.