IH 2400 Stops and Goes

/ IH 2400 Stops and Goes #1  

alchemy

Bronze Member
Tractor
IH2400 Belarus 250AS Ford 3000 JD110 JD210
Hi all, looking for help.
My IH 2400 with loader would stop moving like you put in the clutch then it would catch again and go. It's become alot worse and now takes along time to reengage and it's not even worth using right now. It is worse the warmer it gets. At one time it was leaking hydraulic fluid and would seem to get better every time I added fluid. Not leaking anymore and it's full. Hitting and releasing the clutch pedal real fast sometimes makes it catch. Anyway, all that makes me wonder if it is a hydraulic problem rather than the clutch. Is there hydraulics that controls the clutch on these somehow?

/ IH 2400 Stops and Goes #2  
Here is a picture of the clutch in your 2400, according to Case/IH. Being there are only 3 springs on the pressure plate, could be one or more broken. Also if there is an open inspection hole on the side of the torque tube, could be some varmints built a nest in there too. String and nut shells seems to be most common things found in several I've torn down.

Items get caught in the fingers and springs on a pressure plate, and don't let them fully release.

Attachments

• 2400 clutch.gif
    2400 clutch.gif
    22.6 KB · Views: 313
   / IH 2400 Stops and Goes
Here is a picture of the clutch in your 2400, according to Case/IH. Being there are only 3 springs on the pressure plate, could be one or more broken. Also if there is an open inspection hole on the side of the torque tube, could be some varmints built a nest in there too. String and nut shells seems to be most common things found in several I've torn down.

Items get caught in the fingers and springs on a pressure plate, and don't let them fully release.

Ok, thank you! I'll see if the is a cover I can see in.

/ IH 2400 Stops and Goes

Took off an inspection cover underneath and worked the clutch pedal. So far I did not see foreign objects or anything broken. I was able to see just 2 of the springs, number 7 in the pic and their arms. Could not turn the assembly from there. Though I need to see the other side somehow. I wonder if it's possible, and if there is a safe way, to see if the shaft going back is turning or not when in gear and the clutch released, while running but not moving? The reason for that idea is to confirm whether the problem is in the clutch assembly or in the transmission, maybe hydraulics? I did not mention here that I have never smelled clutch on this tractor ever. It also is worse the warmer it gets and the loader loses alot of strength along with that.
BTW, it looks like the arms go all the way and might even hit the back wall of the bellhousing when the clutch is released so it would seem the travel should be far enough.

/ IH 2400 Stops and Goes
After studying this a little further I don't think it is the clutch disk itself. I found there are adjuster screws on the pressure plate. They are reachable through the bottom 4X8 cover but I don't know if you can move or remove the retainers in order to adjust them for at least a possible temporary fix.
I sprayed WD40 onto all the moving parts in there I could reach and it got notably better. I could then start in 4th gear sometimes which had been about impossible before. I have also never ever smelled clutch burning on this tractor. Those two things make me believe it's pressure more than clutch surface but I suppose the clutch would have wear. trying to avoid splitting if I can get by without doing so. Never split a tractor before and I have a much nicer Ford 3000 that has been sitting 5 years because of that.

/ IH 2400 Stops and Goes #6  
That style tractor does not use a fiber clutch disc but a metallic disc. There would be little or no odor to it slipping.

/ IH 2400 Stops and Goes
That style tractor does not use a fiber clutch disc but a metallic disc. There would be little or no odor to it slipping.

thank you for that info. Any idea if I can turn the adjuster screws for a possible temporary fix without splitting the tractor? Seems I would first need to figure out how the retainer comes off for each screw.

/ IH 2400 Stops and Goes
Well I figured it out myself after trial, error, and alot of thought and in hindsight it is very simple. Yes, those screws can be adjusted through the cover. There was no retainer. I think they are called fingers (#8 in the pic) but there are only 3 and they rest on top of the adjuster screws (#3 in the pic). Simply clamp the clutch pedal so it's depressed and turn the screw counterclockwise on the 1/2 hex outer head. The clamp nut will loosen with it. It does not show the clamp nuts in the pic for some reason. Putting WD40 on those yesterday may have made it easier. Mark each one as you adjust so you don't get them mixed up. After setting, release the clutch and tighten the clamp nut. Turn the motor for the next one. Takes about 10 min if you've done it before.
The first time, I turned each out 1/2 turn and then the tractor did not slip in any gear. First time it was like that since I first got it. I then turned them out another full turn making 1.5 total for each screw. This time I took it to a real steep hill and it would slip occasionally if in the high range. My guess is I'll get some more hours out of it but not much. I'm sure the clutch assembly is still going to need replaced. Gained some time though, how much is yet to be seen.