Case IH 885 Westendorf Loader Mounts

/ Case IH 885 Westendorf Loader Mounts #1  

huskerhayman

Bronze Member
Tractor
IH 684
Had a Case IH 885 follow me home from an auction this spring and recently purchased a Westendorf WL-21 loader for it. It came with mounts off of a John Deere 4020 that I am planning in trying to adapt. The problem I am hanging is how the mounts are supposed to go on the rear because the cab is in the way. I was hoping someone had a 885 with a loader that they could send me some pictures of the rear mounts as I am having a tough time finding any. I have not tried calling Westendorf yet but I am guessing they they won't be willing to send me diagrams of the mounts so I won't have to purchase them. Thanks.

/ Case IH 885 Westendorf Loader Mounts #2  
I had a David Brown 880. This company was bought out by Case IH, and the 885 had most of the same features, sizes, weight, etc. that the 880 had. In fact the 885 engine was the 880 engine without the cylinder sleeves. I found out that when I couldn't get sleeves for the 880. Anyway...I put a loader on the 880. Had the same problem with the mounts. I finally just took the loader and tractor to a local welder and he made mounts for it. They worked real well. He ended up mounting it closer to the front of the tractor than I had considered doing. I went on Google and looked at Case 885's with loaders, and I see others did the same thing. Here is one w/o a cab....

Attachments

• 1978_Case_885_David_Brown_Tractor.jpg
    1978_Case_885_David_Brown_Tractor.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 3,311
   / Case IH 885 Westendorf Loader Mounts
Thanks for the response. My tractor is a little different. It is a 1990 Case International 885. It gets really confusing with all the different 885's. I attached a pic of the Case IH 885. I also finally found a picture of what the mounts are supposed to look like (I think anyways).

Attachments

• image-964309172.jpg
    image-964309172.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 421
  • image-203720062.jpg
    image-203720062.jpg
    483.1 KB · Views: 729
   / Case IH 885 Westendorf Loader Mounts #4  
those are the front frame mounts, you are totally on your own to tie the loader frame to the rearend. which is NEEDED! those mounts bolt to the transmisson housing(the bellhousing right behind the engine) just in front of the cab. straight down from where the hood has 885 on it.
The are provisions with the mounts in the picture to attach a subframe from the loader mounts to the rearend.The provisions are the lower 3-4 bolt holes on the mounts. But I don't know if Westendorf made a rear subframe for it, every westendorf loader I have ever seen did not.
and the Westendorf mount look like a crappy design, they give no support to the frontend. the engine in the 885 is a stressed member meaning it IS the frame for the tractor. the mounts shown only have a single bolt tying the fwd rails to the bellhousing portion. this setup will give no support to the engine whenever you try to lift something. the loader will push down on the front axle and try to lift the rear using the engine case and the transmission case as the lever and possibly breaking one/both! the trans mount portion needs to be rigidly tied to the front axle bolster AND the rear axle. to keep from breaking the tractor in half!

Last edited: