New 55A

/ New 55A #1  

onceacop

Silver Member
Tractor
D17 series III, 1758 Massey Ferguson
Just got my Farmall 55A home. Paid under 20K for it. Will give a better indepth review/opinion on it here. There are no dealers near me, I am pretty remote, so drove some distance for this; 200 miles. I purchased it via internet without driving one so was hoping my research paid off. First gripes are the Case IH website saying the 8X8 shuttle is a syncro and can be shifted on the fly. I did some advancing through the gears shifting on the move which worked out ok. Anyone here know if that is ok?? Dealers, Brochure, internet, manual all say different things....Operators manual says to come to a complete stop. The tractor does not turn very tight. Even w/o the front diff locked. Transmission sounds somewhat growly in motion. Just the way it is. Nice smooth and quiet engine. Comfortable and roomy. Has accelerator peddle which was not mentioned in sale literature. I like that feature. Will post more after I get some hours on it.
IMG_7100.jpg

IMG_7101.jpg

IMG_7103.jpg

/ New 55A #2  
I am toying with the idea of buying that exact same model. I bought the 45A 2wd 4 months ago and love it and want to add a 4wd 55A also now. After 4 months and 60 hours I am still happy with my decision to buy it. I went to my dealer looking at a used Kubota MX they had on their lot. I wanted a simple 2wd unit to mount a post pounder to and I walked out with the Farmall instead and have not regretted it. Its just a very quiet, comfortable machine. My only dislike is the high/low lever needs to be in neutral when you get up from the seat or it kills the engine. I don't know why they chose the H/L lever instead of the shuttle but it is taking some getting use to.

I'm curious, if you don't mind can you measure the outside width on your front tires for me? It looks like you have them set in as tight as you can and thats what I would need to do as well but would want them to be under 64" outside width.

/ New 55A #4  
Dose it have Goodyear tires on it? Mine came with titans yours look wider also?