Cleaning gas tank on 580CK

/ Cleaning gas tank on 580CK #1  

JimBobWay

Tractor
Case 580CK
Hi All
My firast post with you.
Rercently picked up a Case 580CK with a front loader and power gannon. It has sat for a while so I'm trying to clean out the gas tank. There is a lot of residue that comes out and blocks up the flow. I;m thinking of removing the gas tank but not real sure how it all snakes out. I can undue the 4 bolts holding the tank down, then the few holding the consel/tank together but I think the loader needs to come off to get the tank out.

Maybe there's another way to cleaning this tank, any ideas? I wanted to go get it done at a shop so they could seal it up after the've cleaned it. I;m sure the gas coming out is full of rust.

Thanks in advance, couldn't fine anything by searching
Jim

/ Cleaning gas tank on 580CK
Ok - well it wasn't an easy job to do but it's out. It moved back a bit then I was able to twist it slightly then jack it up and over the valves. Valve cover was off, and all the lines were loose over the top of the gas tank. It did scratch some but not too badly.

Now to go get the tank referbished, there's a ton of rust inside.

/ Cleaning gas tank on 580CK #3  
Jim, what year is your 580ck? Any idea? Also, is it gas or diesel powered?

Hey - somebody near by... I beleive my Case is about 1967. I say this because someone wrote that year down next to the serial number in the owner's manual I got with it. It's a gasser too.

Just had the tank referbished. I ordered a fuel gage sending unit then I'll put it back on.

I still have to figure out the power gannon on back; don't think many had that option. Also. need to get some Case yellow paint to put back on the tank.

/ Cleaning gas tank on 580CK #5  
I still have to figure out the power gannon on back; don't think many had that option. .

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "power gannon". Mine has a hydraulically actuated gannon, but has manually activated ripper teeth (or scarrifiers, depending on what u call 'em). Is that what you are talking about?

/ Cleaning gas tank on 580CK #7  
not sure if this is a good idea or not but how about a shop vac.

Does anybody know if these gas tanks split in half? It doesn't look welded. Some of the seam looks like the tank seal is getting loose so I'm thinking about hamering away. Anybody do that?
Why you ask? I had the rust removed from the gas tank a couple of weeks ago and as I was getting ready to put it on tonight and what did I hear? RUST FLAKES! I power washed it inside but I don't think that will stop the rust. I've got to open it up and clean it down to the metal. It's not like I'm in a rust prone area. We've had about 10 percent humidity all this time.

Thanks in advance.

Nope - doesn't come apart easy. I used a power washer and it looks good now. Gonna try and get it up and running this week. If I get gas in it, maybe it will not rust anymore.

/ Cleaning gas tank on 580CK #10  
I would look around for a fuel tank treatment that would seal the interior of it against rust, while being impervious to gasoline over long term. Maybe do a google search for such a product?