Tractor
    IH B414

Default B414 gearbox jammed in gear

G'day team
    I'm hoping that someone out there has an intimate knowledge of an IH B414 gearbox. My issue is that the gearbox has jammed in gear. The stick moves foward and back but not sideways at neutral point. Neutral point is stuck in a gear that will move the tractor forward, reverse and 1st gear positions just labour the engine but wont move the tractor. I'd like to get into the gearbox to sort out the mis-alignment but I'm not sure whether I need to crack the top off the box, or whether I can do it by just by going through the opening where the gear select lever enters the box? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

Tractor
    all makes and models

Default Re: B414 gearbox jammed in gear

You need to pull the top! It really isn't that bad, but help is a plus! Your shift rails or forks are worn and need to be repaired. Sometimes the forks can just be brazed up and will work and as far as the rails if bad they should be replaced.

Tractor
    IH B414

Thanks for the succinct advice Art, I was hoping it was going to be a simpler task than taking the top off, but if that"s what it's gotta be then so be it.
    Cheers

Tractor
    IH 444

the same happened w/my 444. Shift lever would move front to back but not side to side. 2nd and if shifted would labour the engine w/o movement.
    Pulled the top off w/help of electric winch. there was some burring of the gears on one side and all it took was a little grinding w/a dremel tool to smooth out. the was 3 years ago and haven't had a problem since.

Tractor
    IH B414

Ha ha glad to know I'm not the only one that's faced this problem, you learn quickly that life's not that all beer and skittles when you don't have reverse gear. I don't have a winch but an old block & tackle should do the job.
    Thanks for the tip.

Tractor
    IH B414

You know I sense you blokes haven't been exactly up front when you say 'yeah just pop the top off the gearbox'...I've sworn at the Pom's sense of mechanics a fair bit lately. In the last couple of weeks I've ground down a ring spanner to fit a gearbox back bolt and after getting it half out, only to discovered I'm going to have to take the side off the hydraulic tank before I can remove that last bolt on the gearbox. Unfortunetly I'm going to have to grind down another spanner to remove that hydraulic bolt buried back in the middle of no where.

There I feel better now...this is going to be a long and tortuous journey.

Cheers

Not suitable for use in microwave
    Not suitable for use in microwave!

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Foton FT404, International 444 with forklift, International B250, Kubota L2000DT, Truck converted to all terrain forklift and lots of other junk

Quote Originally Posted by darkhorsenay View Post
    You know I sense you blokes haven't been exactly up front when you say 'yeah just pop the top off the gearbox'...I've sworn at the Pom's sense of mechanics a fair bit lately. In the last couple of weeks I've ground down a ring spanner to fit a gearbox back bolt and after getting it half out, only to discovered I'm going to have to take the side off the hydraulic tank before I can remove that last bolt on the gearbox. Unfortunetly I'm going to have to grind down another spanner to remove that hydraulic bolt buried back in the middle of no where.

There I feel better now...this is going to be a long and tortuous journey.

Cheers

Not suitable for use in microwave
    Well from looking at the manual you could be right. My manual says to gain access to the top of the gearbox drain and remove hydraulic reservoir etc. not a 5 min job. Good luck