Oil & Fuel IH 384 bydraulic fluid

/ IH 384 bydraulic fluid #1  

DKL

Tractor
IH 384
I'd like to change the hydraulic fluid in my 384; the manual lists various weights of motor oil for both the crankcase and hydraulics, depending on ambient temperature. I'd like to run one weight of oil year round; winter temps here in maine get into the single digits on occasion, and into the mid 80's in the summer. Any recommendations?

/ IH 384 bydraulic fluid
Finally changed it last night, and used Hy-Tran.

/ IH 384 bydraulic fluid #4  
I recently had the same dilemma and was directed to Hy-Tran by an IH dealer in Tyler, Tx. I changed mine also. But how do you check the oil level? Do you remove the lower side plug under the brake pedals and check that the level is up to the bottom of the threads in the hole or what?

/ IH 384 bydraulic fluid #5  
That plug is for the transmission on the 384/424/444 that hydraulic fluid an the transmission fluid are to completely seperate systems.

/ IH 384 bydraulic fluid #6  
I have an International 238, which is the industrial version of the 384. Mine has an 1850 loader, similar to the 2250 loader but not easily removed, but I don't think that would change how you check the fluid. The manual says the hydraulic fluid should be checked by removing the filler plug located behind the seat and "Fill the housing with the correct oil (Hy-Tran) as specified in the lubrication table, until the level reaches the bottom of the filler plug threads." In the capacity section it lists 11.4 litre (24 US pints) as the correct capacity, but warns "These capacities are a guide to the quantities required. Always use dipsticks or level plugs to ensure that units are filled to the correct level." I am not aware of a level plug or dipstick for the hydraulic fluid, but when my unit used to leak I used the bottom of the filler plug thread as a guide and never had a problem.

/ IH 384 bydraulic fluid #7  
I have a 384 and I'm tryin to find out how much oil to use in transmission and what kind

/ IH 384 bydraulic fluid #8  
I also have a 384, 1980 model. drained my transmission/gear/pto oil this past summer and it took five gallons to refill to the proper levels. i used just a regular 80w90 gear oil. thats what the owners manual reccommends.