IH 424 hydraulic trouble

/ IH 424 hydraulic trouble #1  

56FordGuy

Gold Member
Having an issue with my tractor's hydraulic system. It's a 424, gas model with power steering. Went out with the bush hog today, mowed about 100 yards and lost steering. The wheel would just spin freely, and have no effect on the wheels. A few seconds later, the steering wheel got hard and would hardly turn at all. You could feel that you were fighting hydraulic pressure. At that point, I shut off the mower and tried to lift it to head back to the shop. The three point hitch would not lift. I was able to get back, with the steering alternating between very difficult and the steering wheel just spinning freely. As I was pulling into the shop, everything went back to normal. The steering returned to normal, the three point began to work, and everything seemed just fine, like it did when I set out.

This has happened two or three times now, and I'm not even sure where to start looking for a problem beyond something in the hydraulic system. Any suggestions?

/ IH 424 hydraulic trouble #2  
You should check the hydro fluid level if you didn't already, also check suction filter under the seat might be cloged. Hope its an easy fix.

/ IH 424 hydraulic trouble #3  
To qualify the problem good clean filters and oil are a must!