530 for road maintenance

/ 530 for road maintenance #1  

Klitch

Tractor
Case 530
I need pointers on how to use my tractor to smooth out the driveway. Back dragging works great on the somewhat flat ground, but my problem is the hill up to my parent's house, the washboards are getting to be about 1 foot deep now, and this hill isn't something I feel comfortable back dragging. I'm scared of flopping if it gets sideways in any fashion, the brakes ain't the best thing and I'm honestly a newb.

:2cents:?

/ 530 for road maintenance #2  
If you're meaning a 3 pt. blade, after finishing grading, turn the moldboard 180 degrees,and back drag pulling it forward.

/ 530 for road maintenance
Oh no, i forgot to mention i was looking at keeping the hoe attached, i dont have a 3pt at any rate. I knew i forgot something, guess working 16 hours has an effect.

Last edited:
   / 530 for road maintenance #4  
Roll the bucket all the way up and push forward. you have more control and you are not looking tn two directions at once.

/ 530 for road maintenance #5  
Oops, thought you meant a 530 Ag.

Roll the bucket all the way up and push forward. you have more control and you are not looking tn two directions at once.
You're saying use the back/round section of the front bucket, should I weld a plate on there to help cut into the hardpack rock/dirt?

Oops, thought you meant a 530 Ag.
No big deal, I didn't remember to mention it the first time. Besides that, I'm not sure what my old chugger was to begin with, the front end doesn't match up with most CK's I've seen pictures of. My front bucket looks different, so do my front spindles IIRC.

I have a picture so we can all see what I'm using, and you guys can educate me better if you know what I'm trying to work with. :)
0122111550.jpg

If need be I can take a picture of the small but steep enough to give me the willies hill:ashamed:

/ 530 for road maintenance #7  
I do that to smooth my drive on a hill. if you need to cut I have seen rachet rakes on here that seem to do a good job. They strap on your bucket and come right off. Its an idea.

Now thats something worth looking into, I watched their video and that seems like it could possibly work!

/ 530 for road maintenance #9  
More than likely the only difference between your 530 TLB and Ag. version, is the loader and backhoe. Plus probably the HD front axle, and spindles. Some were, some were not.

When looking for parts for the tractor itself, go to Case/IH Ag. site. Loader and backhoe, Case Construction. Tag for the loader should be on the left side of the loader frame, where you climb on. For the hoe, I believe on the right side of the control tower.

The tractor parts are about 10% less through the Ag. side. If it is something that is a generic part, or aftermarket, you can copy and paste the part number to Google to search for them. One great thing about those older models, the part number was stamped, or embossed on about every part somewhere. Really helpful if you need front end parts, ie: front axle, and spindles, bearings, etc. That has been a subject matter of several threads on here.

/ 530 for road maintenance #10  
there are a few various bolt on / strap on / weld on. attachments for the FEL (front end loader) but you need to be careful in respect you could bend the FEL arms. granted i use and abuse the FEL and have never bent the ARMs maybe a dent or two in the bucket and cutting edge of bucket but that be a different story. on other hand. there has been enough folks that have bent there FEL arms. that when ya go to engage the bucket or teeth or rippers attach to the FEL bucket. that you should keep in mind. of trying to keep the arms and bucket from twisting or suddenly getting jammed up on one corner causing things to twist.

===========
if your tractor allows you to pull the backhoe off for a 3pt hitch setup. and all you need is some arms and chains to get 3pt hitch working. then i would say do it. ya it may seem like large hassle to pull backhoe off and put it back on. but having access to use of a 3pt hitch and using a rear blade, or land plane, or a box blade to help maintain dirt and gravel roads can be extremely nice and make things so much easier.

with above said, if your backhoe can come off, for 3pt hitch setup. read up on some threads here on the forum. for how folks go about hooking / unhooking the backhoe. and using the outriggers, and connecting hoses, to lift and un lift the backhoe. into spot on back of tractor. some folks may only take 30 hour some a couple extra hours initally. it all depends.

=============
as far as attachements for FEL bucket, there are some rippers / teeth used to help better digging with the front bucket, and then can be flipped around to act like rippers like a box blade would have to help tear up harder ground.

all honestly though, i tend to just back drag and get something of a road smoothed out and not constant pot holes and ruts all over the place. though i use rear brakes heavily when back dragging. having those left and right rear brake pedals in working condition is very important to me.

if you get the "shop manual" for the tractor. it should break everything down for you, of were things are, how to tear things apart, and how and what order to put things back together. hopefully also how to test and adjust things to make sure they are in working order.