IH 444 transmission noise

/ IH 444 transmission noise #1  

jgrayossi

Tractor
IH 444 Diesel
Recently purchased an IH 444 US version diesel. Engine had just been totally re-built and it runs like a locomotive. When looking at it, I didn't notice any unusual transmission noises but after getting it home and running it for a couple of hours I noticed a growling that seems to be on the left side of the transmission in the vicinity of the shift lever. If clutch is pushed all the way down it disappears. Letting the clutch out to the first stage (PTO), the noise starts. Still there with clutch lever totally released. It seems to be less noisy when I run the engine up to about 1500 rpm.

Questions are:
Are these transmissions normally noisy"
Any idea of cost of labor for mechanic to check it out?

Thanks

/ IH 444 transmission noise #2  
Recently purchased an IH 444 US version diesel. Engine had just been totally re-built and it runs like a locomotive. When looking at it, I didn't notice any unusual transmission noises but after getting it home and running it for a couple of hours I noticed a growling that seems to be on the left side of the transmission in the vicinity of the shift lever. If clutch is pushed all the way down it disappears. Letting the clutch out to the first stage (PTO), the noise starts. Still there with clutch lever totally released. It seems to be less noisy when I run the engine up to about 1500 rpm.

Questions are:
Are these transmissions normally noisy"
Any idea of cost of labor for mechanic to check it out?

Thanks

First thing I would do is check the oil level in the gearbox/rear end. Is it at the right level?..Is it in good condition not contaminated with water etc. I have one of these tractors..had it for years..Transmission was never noise free....Maybe a bearing or just normal transmission noise...These old tractors just go and go and go. sure you will have many years use out of it. enjoy your new purchase and welcome to the forum.

/ IH 444 transmission noise #3  
Check your pto lever it may be partially engaged and letting the gears rub.

/ IH 444 transmission noise
Thanks for the suggestions. I drained the transmission/rear end and hydraulic tank. Fluid was a little milky. Replaced with HyTran Ultra (OUCH!!!) just to be on the safe side.

I am still kind of undecided whether to keep running it as is or get it checked out by an IH mechanic (OUCH AGAIN!!! big time).

/ IH 444 transmission noise
Dex3361, thanks for the suggestion, checked the PTO lever and it doesn't seem to be partially engaged