Tractor
    IH 444 Diesel

Default IH 444 transmission noise

Recently purchased an IH 444 US version diesel. Engine had just been totally re-built and it runs like a locomotive. When looking at it, I didn't notice any unusual transmission noises but after getting it home and running it for a couple of hours I noticed a growling that seems to be on the left side of the transmission in the vicinity of the shift lever. If clutch is pushed all the way down it disappears. Letting the clutch out to the first stage (PTO), the noise starts. Still there with clutch lever totally released. It seems to be less noisy when I run the engine up to about 1500 rpm.

Questions are:
    Are these transmissions normally noisy"
    Any idea of cost of labor for mechanic to check it out?

Thanks

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Foton FT404, International 444 with forklift, International B250, Kubota L2000DT, Truck converted to all terrain forklift and lots of other junk

Default Re: IH 444 transmission noise

Quote Originally Posted by jgrayossi View Post
    Recently purchased an IH 444 US version diesel. Engine had just been totally re-built and it runs like a locomotive. When looking at it, I didn't notice any unusual transmission noises but after getting it home and running it for a couple of hours I noticed a growling that seems to be on the left side of the transmission in the vicinity of the shift lever. If clutch is pushed all the way down it disappears. Letting the clutch out to the first stage (PTO), the noise starts. Still there with clutch lever totally released. It seems to be less noisy when I run the engine up to about 1500 rpm.

Questions are:
    Are these transmissions normally noisy"
    Any idea of cost of labor for mechanic to check it out?

Thanks
    First thing I would do is check the oil level in the gearbox/rear end. Is it at the right level?..Is it in good condition not contaminated with water etc. I have one of these tractors..had it for years..Transmission was never noise free....Maybe a bearing or just normal transmission noise...These old tractors just go and go and go. sure you will have many years use out of it. enjoy your new purchase and welcome to the forum.

Tractor
    Kubota L4400-1 HST,FEL, 3x3 remotes, TNT. BX1500 54 mmm

Check your pto lever it may be partially engaged and letting the gears rub.
    Randall

1Timothy Chapter 2:
    3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
    4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
    5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Tractor
    IH 444 Diesel

Thanks for the suggestions. I drained the transmission/rear end and hydraulic tank. Fluid was a little milky. Replaced with HyTran Ultra (OUCH!!!) just to be on the safe side.

I am still kind of undecided whether to keep running it as is or get it checked out by an IH mechanic (OUCH AGAIN!!! big time).

Tractor
    IH 444 Diesel

Dex3361, thanks for the suggestion, checked the PTO lever and it doesn't seem to be partially engaged