Case-IH 385 water pump

/ Case-IH 385 water pump #1  

geneP

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case-International 385, Kubota L5450 w/LA1150A loader
I checked my coolant level today, it was low, added a gallon or so of water. That was odd so I started looking around and found a steady stream coming from behind the water pump pulley.

It is the week end, so there is not a chance of getting a new one today. I'm antsy when my tractor is down. Does anyone have any words of wisdom on finding the best deal on a new one, or on changing it once I get one? I want to remove the hood and water pump this after noon and have that much done.

This tractor only has just over 800 hours on it, I would not have expected a water pump to go so soon.

/ Case-IH 385 water pump
I got the pump off, pretty tight working between the block and the radiator. I see there are new pumps for about $265, rebuilt for about $180, aftermarket for about $80, and re-seal his for about $55. The bearings seem tight in this one but the impeller is held on by a plastic screw and it starts to deform before moving and I'm leery to try it any more. Probably this one just needs the packing replaced if I can get the impeller off.

Has anyone changed your water pump? Which option did you use? What was your results?

thanks, gene

/ Case-IH 385 water pump #3  
Many seals will leak given time even with little use like here. You could break it to try to rebuild it loosing core value.