Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    '71 International 444

Default Re: IH 444 Trans Problem - Shifter Screwed Up?

Hi kwp,

Did you try what Mike R suggested further up in this thread? Jacking up the back and moving the wheel while trying to move the shifter to get it back to neutral? If this happens again to me, that will be the first thing I try.

Anyway, to get the trans cover off, I removed all four hydraulic lines going to the lift housing. Unfortunately to move the pipe that leads to the suction filter I had to remove an additional four hydraulic connectors. I moved that pipe enough for the trans cover to clear. (Even if you could get the trans cover off without moving this pipe, I doubt you'd be able to drop the shift forks down in the right place).

Then removed all bolts for the lift housing and pried it up in front and put a 2x4 block in to hold it up. Then I had enough space to get a wrench on that left-rear bolt for the trans cover. Removed all bolts and pulled it up.

I also ended up draining about 10 gallons of trans/hyd fluid so I could see the groove where the low-range shift fork should go and be able to get that in the right position. It's down on the countershaft, so it's covered in oil at the normal level.

Tractor
    '68 International 444

Thanks for the help on how to get the transmission cover off. We finally got it working today.

Tried jacking it up first, that didn't work. So we propped the lift housing up and pulled the trans cover off. Made sure all of the shift forks were in the correct position for neutral but couldn't get 4th gear to line up right. 4th gear wouldn't slide on the shaft. Had to work with it for a while to get it freed up. Once we got 4th where it would slide we were able to line everything up with the forks and get it put back together.

Seems to be working fine now.

Tractor
    farmall A

I have a very similer problem, I just dont know how the gears should be aligned.I have a 1945 farmall stright A.The shifter feels like it is in neutral but it is in gear, I can only start it if the clutch is pushed in.

Tractor
    444 ih

have you figure it out yet cuz i have problem to figure out to take cover off cuz hyd valve block the cover bolt. what is the best way to do???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12