IH 444 Brakes

/ IH 444 Brakes #1  

maddison

Tractor
IH 444 gas
Howdy! I'm new here. Just bought an old IH 444 and realized that, according to my manual, the tractor is missing the brake lock lever's retainer plate, which means the brakes lock every time you apply them. It appears there never was a plate, so I'm puzzled.

Thoughts?

Mark

/ IH 444 Brakes #4  
Howdy! I'm new here. Just bought an old IH 444 and realized that, according to my manual, the tractor is missing the brake lock lever's retainer plate, which means the brakes lock every time you apply them. It appears there never was a plate, so I'm puzzled.

Thoughts?

Mark

I am trying from memory to visualize the part you are talking about. Can you post a pic. Did my brakes about 18 months ago because they locked on after 6 months of non usage. Have you cleaned up and lubricated the actuating plate and the brake pads and disks?. They do have a habit of binding. Do you have a manual???. If not I will try and find time to look it up in mine for you.

/ IH 444 Brakes #5  
I'm thinking the same thing about the actuator plates. There is a return spring on the brake lock lever, and if it is there, should keep the brake lock lever away from the locking notches.

/ IH 444 Brakes #6  
Also, check to make sure the two return springs are on the external pedals and that you have 3/4" of free play in the pedals. On the actuator plates there should be 3 springs between the plates so, make sure those are not broken or missing. The most likely problem will be the actuator plates are all rusted up in the locked position. I just had to replace the actuator plate on mine due to it being completely rusted up to the point that it would no longer spread open and apply pressure to the brake disk. Yours might be rusted up in the locked position.

/ IH 444 Brakes #7  
I bought an IH 444 but it came without the brake lock assembly I am having a hard time tracking down where I could buy the assembly any thoughts???

/ IH 444 Brakes #9  
It does sound like the actuator plates are sticking. An age old problem with the older IH disc brakes, but normally an easy fix, if the actuator balls aren't rusted,and pitted, broken return springs, etc.

Remove the nut from the adjuster, then remove the 4-5 bolts holding the cover on,and the whole assembly comes off in your hands. The inner disc will probably stay on the bull pinion shaft.

A good pair of needle nose pliers to unhook the springs on the actuator. Swing 1/2 of it away. The 7/8" ball bearings can be removed to clean, and also the tapered grooves they ride in. Grooves cam be cleaned with a wire brush, balls with crocus cloth, or.., I use an air die grinder, with Roloc type medium gasket removal disc's. Also great for cleaning up the faces of the plates. Does much better than a cup brush on an angle grinder.

It says not to lube the ball bearings, but I put just a slight bit of never seize on them, and same in the grooves. I normally have to do mine on the Super C's about every 2 years. And most generally first thing in the Spring, after they go trough the Spring sweats, from being cold, then the first warm day. condensation forms all over the tractor.

Takes about 30-45 minutes to do a side, depending on how many coffee/smoke breaks I take. :)

/ IH 444 Brakes #10  
I'll try them and let you know
I've tried old IH dealerships but no luck