Tractor
    International

Default D414 leaking oil out of exhaust

Hey everyone. I just put an inframe kit (piostons, rings, sleeves, bearings) in my D414 and had a shop grind valves, put new injector tubes and surface the head. I put about 10 hours on it and all of the sudden it started to run a little rough, lose a little power and throw considerably more greyish black smoke out the exhast. I had about 70 psi oil pressure and the temperature did not get above half (which is how this tractor has always run). I drove it across the field and parked it and there is a pretty good amount of engine oil leaking out of the exhaust manifold where the muffler attaches. Anyone have an idea of what is going on??? I would imagine that the new head gasket blew but am not sure? There is little to no blow by out of the tube. All ideas are appreciated!!
    Tom

Elite Member
    Tractor
    IH Farmall 656 gas/ IH 240 Utility/ 2, Super C Farmalls/ 2, Farmall A's/ Farmall BN/McCormick-Deering OS-6/McCormick-Deering O-4/ '36 Farmall F-12/ 480 Case hoe. '65 Ford 2000 3 cyl., 4 spd. w/3 spd Aux. Trans

Default Re: D414 leaking oil out of exhaust

Are you sure it is engine oil, or blackened raw fuel. I had an injector go bad on my MF 180, and when I saw what I thought was engine oil, was actually raw fuel, blackened by carbon out of the manifold.

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

Default Re: D414 leaking oil out of exhaust

Change the thermostat, block part of the radiator, do whatever you need to do to get the coolant temp up to an actual 180-200 degrees F and run the crap out of it for 10-20 hours. You are trying real hard to glaze the cylinder walls and are doing nothing to get the new piston rings to seat.
    You are heading down the road to killing a fresh overhaul with kindness.
    This is not Toys R Us where you can throw a tantrum in the aisle to get what you want.

We live in a democracy, and there was an election.