IH 460 ...Your Thoughts?

/ IH 460 ...Your Thoughts? #1  

keegs

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5640SUD
I found a IH 460 gas for sale. Don't know much about them. Seems some say they're not so good, other say they're OK.

I need something to mow about 50 acres. Seems it's about the right size.

I haven't looked at it up close yet but it's supposed to be in good condition. The torque amplifier is working, rubber looks ok from the picture and it has the TPH converter. Asking $3k.

Can anyone offer an opinion on the IH 460? Are parts still available?

TIA

/ IH 460 ...Your Thoughts? #2  
Most wearing parts are all available new and there are a lot of after market parts available. You didn't say as to if it might be a farmall or utility model and that would determine as to it's most efficient uses.

/ IH 460 ...Your Thoughts?
Thanks Art for the response.

Not sure if this answers your question but it has the wide front end.

I read in a few places that there's be problems with the TA on these and TractorData mentions an issue with the rear end prior to MY 1959. I also read that these tend to be gas guzzlers ..particularly if used in ground engaging activities. Trying to get a feel for how significant these or any other issue are with this model.

Some more tidbits: It has power steering, a rear remote, like new rear tires. The closest tractor dealer to me is a CaseIH

/ IH 460 ...Your Thoughts? #4  
He is the guy that you will need the most! Any gas engine compared to diesels uses more fuel and gives you less power. The torque amplifier when used right will last a long time, the one in that tractor will free-wheel in low so don't be there on a hill! What size tires are on it? Is it a straddle or do yyou sit on top of the transmission?

/ IH 460 ...Your Thoughts? #5  
I just got a IH 460 utility this summer. Haven't used it much. It was leaking hydraulic oil faster than it was burning gas. It looks like the leak was coming from the power steering gear assembly, which is notorious for problems I guess.... that is out getting repaired as we speak. The rear end was an issue because the tractor had way too much power for the way it was built and they did a recall I think. I'm guessing if your mowing, not pulling, it shouldn't matter anyways. I mowed with mine using a 6ft brush hog. Worked good.

/ IH 460 ...Your Thoughts?
Thanks kb...I think I saw your first post from earlier in the year??? when I was searching through the threads. I read the brief word about the rear end in TractroData.com. Still don't know the year on this one and the person who listed the tractor still hasn't responded to my inquiry. Maybe I asked too many questions.. :) The tractor's been listed for two weeks...could have been sold already I guess.

I'm about half way between Houlton and Presque Isle.

/ IH 460 ...Your Thoughts? #7  
you won't need a torque amplifier to mow a field I am not sure what a 460 is but it sounds big. Maybe more tractor than you need. power steering is a wonderful invention. how much clutch adjustment does it have left?

/ IH 460 ...Your Thoughts? #8  
I primarily will be using the tractor to skid wood with. I only mow 11 acres of file a year. You certainly don't need 50hp to mow a field.

I'm new to tractors in general though, so mistakes will be made! I have no idea how much clutch adjustment I have left.