Would it be hard to put PTO on my I6?

/ Would it be hard to put PTO on my I6? #1  

Knifer

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey,JD 2010, International W6. '42 case
is it simple as taking the cover off and putting a pto gear in or would it be more involved like taking taking the rear end apart?

/ Would it be hard to put PTO on my I6? #2  
From the looks of things, guessing take the trans cover off, and put the internals for the PTO shaft back through.

If you go to Case/IH parts, look up a Farmall M, then you'll have to look in the attachments section. That is where the PTO parts are. Lots of pieces parts involved.

If you have yor heart set on it, I'd be looking for a fence row M, or W6, etc. and get the main parts, and figure on all new bearings etc.

/ Would it be hard to put PTO on my I6?
sounds hard. The trans cover itself would be a chore to get off already tried once and the bolts are seized and even rusted off really bad. I have a shift dog that's froze.

/ Would it be hard to put PTO on my I6? #4  
A pto for an i6 should be the same as a farmall m. There should be a cover on the back where the pto goes. You will need to get the pto unit from a salvage dealer. I believe it should install through the opening where the rear cover is without removing the transmission top cover. However sounds like you have other problems if your shifter is stuck. You can pull the shift lever out by removing the cross pin that holds it in. The pin is behind the pressed in plugs in the shift tower that is cast into the top cover. When the pressed in plug has been removed, you can just drive the pin out with a punch. If you get the shift lever out, you may be able to free up the shifter rails through the hole. I suggest you get a parts manual for your tractor, or go to the case IH website to look at the parts diagrams.

/ Would it be hard to put PTO on my I6?
Guess I should have gave an update

I got the shifter freed and working great.

so the pto would be easy to put in?