Case International 1255xl

/ Case International 1255xl #1  

Teleco

Tractor
IH 1455XL
Hello Everyone,

We just bought a 1987 1255xl.
When its going uphill in 3,4, 5 and 6 gear and you take your foot of the accelerator pedal completely the tractor will just stall and then rolls back, if you put your foot on pedal again away she goes again.
Clutch pedal goes up a fair bit before its bites but it doesn't seem to be slipping at all.
Its just when you lay off the revs it happens but she still should crawl on anyway.
Oils were all checked and all is at correct level too so maybe torque amplifier faulty...

I Also notice when parking tractor up and then left in gears say low 1st for example and with no handbrake on she will not hold and will gradually crawl forward, not sure if its the type of these tractors or a fault too caused from the above one.
Any Advice appreciated

Thanks

/ Case International 1255xl #2  
Welcome to the forum!! So you have a black & red Case IH 1255xl and have experienced the delights of the "Turbo Clutch" . This is a fluid flywheel device fitted between the dual clutch on the back of the engine (for transmission clutching via the pedal, or pto clutching via the hand lever). And the transmission.

On a normal tractor the main clutch takes up the drive slippage and wear on taking up drive , but with a " Turbo clutch" all the slippage is taken up in the oil so there is no wear!!!

The correct way to operate the " Turbo clutch is to engage gear whilst stationary and at low engine rpm's and release the clutch fully, then accelerate the engine and the tractor will pull away with no slippage or wear on the main clutch.

The tractor does not have a torque amplifier!!!.

Do you have an operators manual for the tractor?? As the oil level in the "Turbo clutch" is critical for its correct operation, the ops manual shows how to check it??

Yes the tractor will creep if left in a low gear without the brakes applied, because after all it is in gear and the mechanical advantage of low gear overcomes the slippage of the oil in the turbo clutch!!.

Last edited:
   / Case International 1255xl
Welcome to the forum!! So you have a black & red Case IH 1255xl and have experienced the delights of the "Turbo Clutch" . This is a fluid flywheel device fitted between the dual clutch on the back of the engine (for transmission clutching via the pedal, or pto clutching via the hand lever). And the transmission.

On a normal tractor the main clutch takes up the drive slippage and wear on taking up drive , but with a " Turbo clutch" all the slippage is taken up in the oil so there is no wear!!!

The correct way to operate the " Turbo clutch is to engage gear whilst stationary and at low engine rpm's and release the clutch fully, then accelerate the engine and the tractor will pull away with no slippage or wear on the main clutch.

The tractor does not have a torque amplifier!!!.

Do you have an operators manual for the tractor?? As the oil level in the "Turbo clutch" is critical for its correct operation, the ops manual shows how to check it??

Yes the tractor will creep if left in a low gear without the brakes applied, because after all it is in gear and the mechanical advantage of low gear overcomes the slippage of the oil in the turbo clutch!!.

Thanks Cyrush, ok so i can rule out the TA then since it doesnt have it, but it happens mostly in 3,4, 5 and 6 gears and I have checked the oil level in on the flywheel and its full so i cant figure it out,

/ Case International 1255xl #4  
Providing the "Turbo clutch" oil level is correct for the tractor there is nothing wrong!!.

What you are experiencing is slippage (oil shear) in the turbo clutch oil because the speed of the engine is insufficient to give drive??

ok thanks cyrush, so this is normal then...
you mention also that with a " Turbo clutch" all the slippage is taken up in the oil so there is no wear!!!
On this tractor I have to let the clutch pedal up very far before it bites and moves off and was thinking that this would be down to wear .......
Can the clutch be adjusted on these tractors so that it moves off when pedal is half way up or so

Last edited:
   / Case International 1255xl #6  
Provided the clutch has been operated as suggested their will be little or no wear. These clutches have been known to last 6000 to 8000 hours!!

However if the clutch is engaged at high load and engine rpm's from a standing start there will be normal wear?

Clutch adjustments are limited and are I think explained in the ops manual. And are limited to pedal free play and clutch pedal height, and for the pto engaging lever free play.

Adjustments for clutch release finger heights are a service operation and can only be done with the tractor split , using the special clutch setting tools.

Thanks cyrush i checked the flywheel again and its fill of oil not sure what type but i use the hytran oil in the back end etc

/ Case International 1255xl #8  
do not put hytran in the turbo clutch!!!!!

The oil in the turbo clutch should be "Dexron ATF " which is a reddish colour

oh, not sure what oil is in there but its not red in colour thats for sure

/ Case International 1255xl #10  
The danger is if the oil overheats it will boil and vaporise then explode from the turbo clutch , last one of these I heard about( a few years ago) set the tractor on fire!!, it was a total burnout ?? Also the wrong oil won't have a good effect on the seals as they are specifically for ATF( Automatic transmission Fluid).